So...nice tones here! Anyone willing to share settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftone82

Reaction score
I recently became a proud owner of my first Mesa Boogie Mark IV (don't you just love how that sounds?).
I have to get used to the fidgeting and very touchy EQ...

But here I hear a lot of great tones (especially the metallica ones), but almost no one seems to be willing to share his/her settings...

So, is there any place (except grailtone, where it's almost emtpy) where I can found shitloads of settings?

thanks

best advice i could offer, would be to say close your eyes, and spin the knobs til you get what you want.

if you put enough experimental time in, and cover enough ground, you'll find your own voice,
and then people wont always say 'you sound like _________________'

much glory to be had in finding your own voice, no glory in sounding like a thousand other guys...

What ive found to work on most amps, specially Mesa as they sound very good natural, is to set up your amp with nuetral settings. Lows, Mids, Highs, and Presence at 12:00(5). Gain where you want it depending on what sound you want on what channel youre on.

From here, at a decent volume if are able to be loud, just play a nice simple chord and let it ring out. Now adjust until your happy. Small adjustments, then strum again, hows it sound? It shouldnt take long to get a good tone.

Id show you my settings, but im on a Dual Rectifier, so I dont think youd benefit too much from it. But here is a good start. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32699

Thanks guys, for the tip.

Indeed, I still have to find my own tone in that baby. But if I wanted to jam along with, say Metallica, I would like to quickly dail in those settings and blast away...

but then again, I'm not familiar with Mark IV long enough (2 weeks) to know if my current set-up can come close to those sounds...

I hear about switching speakers and tubes and pedals and what not...for the moment I have a standard C90 speaker, for power-section: 2 6L6WXT tubes on the outside, 2 Sovtek 5881WXT on the inside...for pre-amp something 12AX-stuff (have to check properly!). Guitars: Gibson SG standard and Mexican strat, all standard pickups. No effects/pedals....

I like a warm, round 'plucky' clean and for the hard stuff: G'nR (slash), AC/DC, Metallica rhythem, Mastodon....any suggestions on what to replace/change? I hear about a V30 speaker and EL34 tubes...will that be an upgrade for me?

Latest posts

Back