Smelly Boogie - How Do I Get Rid Of This??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combination

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Recently, my .50 Caliber was left with an amp tech for about 5 weeks' time.

I knew the tech's house/office was absolutely digsusting, but I didn't think I'd be bringing the **** smell home with the amp! It's so strong that it seems to be filling the small room it occupies.

It's sort of a mixture of ashtrays and something that died, and it seems like it's seeped into the vinyl (outside covering). :shock:

Do I just spray some Armor All on it? Or something else?

Please suggest something to take me back to my normal smelling amp!

febreeze?
or some of those hockey-puck room fresheners
car-fresheners you hang from the rear-veiw mirror?
or adopt about 15 un-neutered, male cats
THEN you wont complain about the smell coming from your amp, hahahahahaha
or an insense stick inside your amp?

that's pretty disgusting that your amp-tech lives in such squalor that it infused into your amp

Yeah, the cats would do it, but I'm allergic!

Disgusting, I know. Too bad I can't show you what the dude looks like!

Put the amp and a box of baking soda in a flight case for a couple of days, and that will freshen it up nicely. If you don't have a case, use some other sealed enclosure for maximum effectiveness. 8)

MesaDCLP said:
Put the amp and a box of baking soda in a flight case for a couple of days, and that will freshen it up nicely. If you don't have a case, use some other sealed enclosure for maximum effectiveness. 8)
That's actually a good idea. It even works for my shoes.
Or... just dig through the amp and find the old chicken wing bones

kiff said:
MesaDCLP said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wipe the amp down with safe disinfectant wipes. Or even scented baby wipes then tie it up in a garbage bag with a box of baking soda as suggested earlier. My old drummer did this after a cat pissed in his bass drum and it worked.

Sixstringpsycho said:
Wipe the amp down with safe disinfectant wipes. Or even scented baby wipes then tie it up in a garbage bag with a box of baking soda as suggested earlier. My old drummer did this after a cat pissed in his bass drum and it worked.

Activated charcoal is even better in a garbage bag.

Baking soda is a great tip !!!!

kiff said:
MesaDCLP said:

What if they're still attached to the chicken? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope it's not cat pee...

I can tell you from extended personal experience, if the smell is from cat pee, there is little hope of fully getting rid of it. Unfortunately I have tried all of these solutions in addition to products designed for this purpose, with mild, but limited success. I have one cat that has taken it upon himself to mark my gear. I can list them, but the low points are my MKIVa (thankfully covered), my #1 guitar, my previous pedalboard, cases, etc.... over the last 5 years!!!

What I discovered was that stuff is like tree sap or tar. It never gets completely off and more importantly, it will transfer to other objects that come into contact with it. One being my car, which the cat has never been in, but reeks on humid days despite all efforts...

I learned that the alkaline base reacts with standard cleaners and actually penetrates deeper and spreads. The best 'solution' I found was to first soak up as much as possible with towels, then burn them. They are now dead! Then drench the area with white vinegar and scrub it. More towels, more burning..., then bury the item in Arm & Hammer baking soda, or seal it in a bag. Repeat as necessary...

Vacuum it extensively since baking soda can act like sand and get into stuff.
Bottom line, on rainy days I still smell it! :twisted:

This cat would have been long gone aside from the tears of the Mrs... nuff said!

Sixstringpsycho said:

Geez, everyone is a music critic nowadays!!!! :lol:

**** that sucks! Maybe it will be good publicity for the rest of us techs that like clean houses!

I got a Rectoverb off of ebay that stank like moldy old cigar. Baby wipes work really well. It takes a few tries though. Mild sunlight (not the middle of a hot summer day) works wonders after wiping it down with baby wipes.
I really don't like Armor All or even MgGuire's wipes because of the film they leave behind.

I usually scrub really hard, especially if it's the older tolex and not the newer Taurus style tolex. Then, while it's still wet, I use an old rag or T-shirt to wipe it dry. Otherwise you're just moving the crap around.

The Baking soda is a great idea, but don't spill it! :eek: You'll never get it out!

I put some Turtle Wax interior car stuff on it last night, but I can try Baby Wipes if y'all think that'll work better.

I've had baking soda in a coffee cup placed inside the amp (next to speaker) for a week now, but it looks like I need to find something to enclose the amp!

Maybe try wiping the tolex with Lysol or Pine sol.

Hit the grill cloth with Fabrize.

Spill some beer on it so it smells like an amp should.

Scott

Found this as a way to get skunk smell out.... It seems some smells get absorbed in oils... maybe this will help. t is for furnitire, seems a similar composition.

Make a solution for cleaning the skunk oils off of your furniture and carpeting. Mix together one quart of vinegar with a half a cup of baking soda and about a teaspoon of regular dish washing liquid. The vinegar and baking soda will help to neutralize the odor and the dish soap will act as a degreaser to help break up the oils.

Step 3Spray the vinegar solution onto your furniture and carpeting with a spray bottle and blot up quickly with an old dry towel. Continue to spray and blot the area of skunk odor repeatedly until you have used the entire solution.

Step 4If some odor remains, try to spray on a fabric deodorizer such as Febreze. Spray the furniture and carpet thoroughly. You may need to try several applications.

Old BF Shred said:
kiff said:
MesaDCLP said:

What if they're still attached to the chicken? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then turn the amp back on. It's not done cooking ;)

I suppose I'm blessed that the amp doesn't have this smell.

A long time ago, I pulled into a parking lot and almost ran over a skunk.

He let my nostrils know exactly how he felt - every time I drove my car for about the next month. I still remember having to throw out a new jacket that was in the back seat! :shock:

Sixstringpsycho said:
... a cat pissed in his bass drum ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure how it got in there, but that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
I can picture it being smart enough to aim into the port. "What's in this hole? Let me pee in it!!"
Mwahahahaha!!!

Latest posts

Back