Shredding: Mark IV vs. Triple Rec.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmaster

Reaction score
I am currently a very happy Mark IV owner who uses his amp for metal / shred. I love the sound I've got now. I have the chance to buy a Triple Rec. Do these things shred? I've heard Mesa Rectifiers before, and wasn't too impressed with the amount of saturation. I didn't have the chance to mess around with it too much though. Is There any more gain saturation on the Triple Rec than on my Mark IV? Or should I just not try to fix what 'aint broken. Do I really need that extra 65 watts and the headroom it provides? Or am I caught in the perpetual trap of searching for better tone regardless of cost or practicality? What is happening to me !?!?!

sounds like you got G.A.S. to me...and nothing wrong with that.
After owning 3 different Mk amps,and 3 Dual Rectos(I'm down to a .D.R. Ractifier and TriAxis) The D.R.'s do get more saturation,but the MkIV has more clarity. How about trying a BBE in the loop.
I did a BBE482i with mine on the lead channels and it just made it jump alive.
Is your MkIV a combo or head/cab?
The 150 watts of headroom is fine but are you playing out?

My Mark IV is a head powering an oversize Recto cab. I am using a BBE maxcom which also has the sonic maximizer built in. I am not currently playing out, but shold be in the near future. G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome ?? Lemme guess, no cure for it except going broke or deaf.

hey dude you are just like me...own a mk iv and want more..i was thinking dual rec or mk III blue or red or green stripe for my self...so a triple can't go wrong....i have gas to...lol

metalmaster said:
I am currently a very happy Mark IV owner who uses his amp for metal / shred. I love the sound I've got now. I have the chance to buy a Triple Rec. Do these things shred? I've heard Mesa Rectifiers before, and wasn't too impressed with the amount of saturation. I didn't have the chance to mess around with it too much though. Is There any more gain saturation on the Triple Rec than on my Mark IV? Or should I just not try to fix what 'aint broken. Do I really need that extra 65 watts and the headroom it provides? Or am I caught in the perpetual trap of searching for better tone regardless of cost or practicality? What is happening to me !?!?!

The Recto series amps are all very gainy. A triple Recto should have atleast as much gain and tube saturation as a MArk 4. But regardless, the mark4 clean tones kill the recto and sound tighter to me which can by definition be considered pretty "shreddy"

Recto's will shred just fine. They're generally not my first choice for soloing on, but they'll do it just fine (The Darkness' lead guitarist was using a Triple Recto if I remember correctly). Myself, if I was going for a lead amp I'd go for the Dual first (more power tube compression).

Latest posts

Back