Seriously Gigging Discontinued Amps Made Before 2000

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garjaye

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a question out of curiosity. I've become somewhat infatuated with the Tremoverb and I'm considering picking one up eventually.

The thing is, I'm a gigging player, who averages around 150+ shows a year. I rely on my gear to be solid and able to withstand night after night, van trip after van trip, 2 hour set after 2 hour set and still function well. My current workhorses are a Mark V head and Roadster Combo.

I understand that there are folks who still play Mesa amps from the 80's...or even the folks who use genuine Fender and Marshalls that are even older. But, what are your thoughts on heavily gigging a discontinued amp from the 90's? Aside from tubes, what should be my concerns, if any?

A well built amp is a well built amp. That does not change with time. As long as the filter capacitors and tubes are not worn out, it should function like new every time you power it up. Banging one around on the road is not relivant, new or old they are both subjected to the same damage and wear. As always, have a back up, and some replacment tubes/fuses. Mesas are built like tanks, always have beeen, that's why so many are on stage with touring bands.

I don't understand why a discontinued amp is an issue for gigging or otherwise. It can still be repaired, and generally there are enough around that it could be replaced. I guess for heavy gigging I'd have a spare regardless.

Maybe look for a tremoverb from the later 90's.
In the mid 90's they got a bad batch of LDR (involved in the switching systems).

If you do get one that has/gives problems then you can always pull the chassis out and send it to mesa for updating and any other needed repairs, but of course it cost $ but at least you know Mesa knows what they're doing with it.

I'm not really sure what the % chance is of having problems, and most of the "bad ones" have either been updated or just aren't working and need the fix.

I have a 98/99 (#12,7xx) and it's never been touched yet and still switches fine, but it was NOT used much at all after 2001 and certainly not in the context of a touring pro at show volumes.

I always gig with a full set of tubes. I can literally retube my entire amp on the spot if I had too (fuses too). I had a special case made to hold the tubes. I also have a backup amp just in case a non-tube related issue comes up. If anything catastrophic breaks, it can be repaired. If it can't be repaired...that's why they make new amps.

Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate everyone of you.

See...I wasn't even aware of "filter capacitors"...I learned something. 8)

Yeah, I tend to over worry about these things. Not sure if you've ever experienced an amp dying mid-set. Yikes!

It's a matter of risk management...predictable reliability. You play more than 2x than I and I decided to bench my MkIII after heat issues started creeping up at outdoor gigs. Yes, I replaced the filter caps and it still runs beautifully, but if I were in a touring band, I'd demand production equipment that can be supported by the factory. There's too much riding on that risk. And since I can't afford a tech and support staff, those responsibilities fall on my shoulders. That effort needs to be focused on playing.

If the factory continues to support repair of your amp (pretty sure they do) and you have 3 heads (always maintaining 2 on hand if one goes off for repair), then gig 'em. If not, then I'd transition to something that is supported and readily available.

Garjaye said:
............Not sure if you've ever experienced an amp dying mid-set. Yikes!
Not since I started playing Mesa's in 2001 8)

Seriously.

Over the past 14 years or so, I've had one powertube go bad, and a rectifier tube go bad, but both at practice.

Tube problems are not an "amp fault".

Gig with confidence, bring extra tubes and fuses. If your sole source of income is gigging, get a backup rig, regarless of build quality/brand.

Dom

This is non-event.

That amp is built right and would easily be up to the job

I played a 1968 Super Reverb for years and I know a guy that has been playing an F50 for 15 years. Both amps were dead reliable.

A good amp is a good amp - age really means nothing except for tubes and caps

...uh we're talking about a MESA amp, we're not talking about something like a Bugera amp where it does have a life-time of a few years before components start breaking down.

Filter capacitors repairs is common. One time I blew one and the repair person decided to change two others that he didn't feel comfortable with since the amp (MESA) was over 15-years-old.

If I played 150 shows a year I'd be looking into a mini head or a modeler of sorts. :lol:

Just out of curiosity what does a Tremoverb offer in a live situation that the Roadster can't do?

I've had at least a dozen used Mesa amps come thru my house. In all cases, every problem I've had was directly related to tubes and the plate and screen resistors.

Number one was power tubes going bad. Very common with Mesa EL84 amps because they are biased so hot. All you can do is have spares at all times.

Number two was cheap preamp tubes. Any new production tube can go bad or be defective at any time, any brand, anything can happen. All you can do is buy better tubes and keep spares with you at all times.

Number three was crackling plate or screen resistors, the classic "bacon frying" sound in the speaker even if nothing is plugged in. I can only assume these went bad either from age and heat or from some previous owner using crappy tubes that went bad. I got lucky because my bad resistors could be spotted with the naked eye, appearing bulged and scorched. I replaced them with 1 watt versions and had no problems after that.

Everything else is just keeping pots and jacks clean with deoxit, and having clean power from the wall. Those are the only problems I've ever had in 15 years and a dozen used Mesa amps.

And if I were working steady and needed a backup, I'd grab me a Mark V 25 head or a Mini Rec or an Express 5:50 head, or even a Heartbreaker or a Blue Angel, keep it simple.

Incidentally, these are also the only problems I've ever had with Rivera amps, same things, same repairs, same brick house build quality.

Back