Scored a Mark IIC+ how do I know it is a MArk IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eshithead said:
share.do
(alt+p)

The not being a idiot seem to be a recuring theam but how do I post a pic???

Try posting at a pic posting site like imageshack then use the code provided.

If you got the amp that cheap, it could warrant a trip to Petaluma for a visit with Magic Mike. The amp is old enough for a required check-up and to rid it of the compression circuit(WTF????) :shock: .

What does that run, I was going to run it up to my guy, John Markovich, he does all the mesa repairs in town.

Ed

I'd say let Mike B have his way with your amp. At least you'll know it is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt perfect. A service will run you $125-ish plus shipping both ways. It might be a little more than your local guy but it will be in like new working condition when it comes back if not better. Besides, if Mike goes through it you can rest assured that it is right. Comparatively, how many IIC's do you think Mike has built, serviced, seen and touched? Almost every. How many do you think John Markovich has serviced or seen?

Someone installed a DOD FX80 compressor pedal straight into a C+ chassis?? Crazy.

I can help you identify any mods done to your IIC+. It's quite likely that more mods were done on the circuit boards inside your amp, besides the addition of the compressor and it's visible knobs.

I need to see some pics of the inside of the chassis. When he pops by, Boogiebabies will need to see them too. The chassis is really easy to remove, just unscrew the 4 bolts on the top of the amp, unplug the speaker, reverb and the fan (if you've got one) and slide it out the back.

Take photos of the whole chassis, and closeups of the circuit boards. Just be careful not to touch the leads on the big blue caps, they can shock you. You can discharge them by leaving your amp unplugged from the mains, but with the power and standby switches 'on' for around half an hour.

PM me when you're ready with the photos and we'll get them uploaded here.

wow, that compression situation is very strange.
whoever installed it did make it look almost like it was stock.
too bad they changed the back face plate in the process.

whoever did that should have just velcroed the pedal to the top of the amp, powered it with the power jack on the back of the c+, and ran it in the loop.

oh well. still a **** good deal on a real c+

"It is also possible your amp was previously modded to reduce gain. It's a common mod on C+'s for blues players and what not....My amp has it and I'll eventually take it off."

I have a January 1984 MKIIC with less gain than my other Boogies. It was previously owned by a Jazz-player. How can I spot if such a mod is done to it ?

I get a real tasty overdrive with Vol 1 and "lead drive" all the way up, but the other amps goes way over the top on these settings.

Stian

dodfx80compressor_4447.jpg

Scary thought...

It's a real deal SRG from 84. That Compressor circuit is not Mesa and I could only imagine the impact on the tone. They did not screw up the backplate, they just moved the heat sink. I have never seen anything like it and neither has anyone else, I bet. Since it's not true bypass, I would have it removed and put the heat sink back. Basically, someone came up with the idea to hack a pedal into the amp and went through the trouble of acid etching a plate. It looks like a pro job, but why do this? The best I can tell is that fat black cable is going to the PI for some type of paralell effect.

Latest posts

Back