Satisfied with the old 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtherealWidow

Reaction score
Interested to hear about the new Expresses, being that they're what I wanted in the first place. But I feel the need to state that I'm still completely satisfied with my old Express loaded with 2 12AU7's and a SignaComp in front. Never played a Dumble, but if Youtube can be counted on at all it kinda sounds like one on the Burn channel. :lol:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original 5:25 or 5:50, but I do believe they upped the game with the Plus versions. I was very, very hesitant to make the switch lest I abandon my 5:50's mojo, but it worked out very nicely and I actually prefer the Plus now.

These are probably the most underrated amps out there because they don't have the sexier "Mark" or "Rectifier" monikers, and some view them as "entry level" Mesa's. Well, I'll put my "entry level" Mesa against anything out there. Bang for the buck, there's just not much better.

The new plus models are what I wanted in the first place. Mainly that graphic EQ. Not gonna switch amps at this point and take a hit financially though. My amp is good enough.

I'm still 100% satisfied with my original 5:50. I've always used a clean boost in the loop, and I've never used an EQ in any of my rigs. It's still my only guitar amp. No GAS at all.

If I start gigging again I may look for a lighter weight amp, so maybe that's my excuse to get a 5:50+ head or a mini recto.

The only other amps I GAS over that happen to be smaller Mesa's are the TA-15 and TA-30. The Hi 1 channel is just GOOOOOD.

EtherealWidow said:
Interested to hear about the new Expresses, being that they're what I wanted in the first place. But I feel the need to state that I'm still completely satisfied with my old Express loaded with 2 12AU7's and a SignaComp in front. Never played a Dumble, but if Youtube can be counted on at all it kinda sounds like one on the Burn channel. :lol:

Yeah I'm very happy with the original 5:50 - once you improve it with a re-tube & then add on an MXR EQ pedal you've covered 2 of the new features of the Plus. An EQ pedal more than covers the inbuilt 5-band EQ and a tube swap improves your all round tones + makes the amp much quieter. Another wattage option would be nice to have but no biggy imo.

I'd luv a 2nd Mesa amp but I'd go for either a Mark V Head or a TA-40 to get different tones the 5:50 can't do :mrgreen:

I'm still satisfied with my 5:25, but if the + sounds any better, combined with the 15 watt setting, I'll be all over that.

The other things will just be a plus (no pun intended).

TW

Oh yeah. I have to fight the GAS for the plus. I was upset when it came out, cause it's what I was originally looking for. That being said, I'm satisfied enough with the old one. And as odd as it sounds, I like having the fender pilot lamp. :/ It's an irrationally big deal for me.

Yeah,

I know your pain. I have myself convinced to keep my amp, then I look on eBay and see all the "old Boogies" with the 5-band EQ and think, ya gotta have that to have a real Boogie.

I sold my original 5:25 after I found one in Bubinga for a good price. I bought the new with the intention of keeping it forever, since I really liked this model and love the Bubinga.

Unfortunately, I called Mesa and the 5:25+ chassis WILL fit the original combo (I was kind of hoping it wouldn’t). So, I could buy a +, put the chassis in my combo, put my chassis in the “new” combo and have the best of both worlds.

So, we’ll see what happens.

**** GAS

TW

I have a 5:50 1x12 and a 5:25 1x10. Frankly, as a gigging musician, I'd rather have those 2 for roughly the same money than 1 Plus model.

If I could only have one amp, I might want a 5:25 1x12 Plus model. But as it stands, having the bigger amp for gigs and the smaller one for rehearsals (the 1x10 is really ideal for a "grab and go" amp) works much better for me.

I have a 5:50 2x12 which i absolutely love. I played an 5:50+ the other day and did not see any reason to upgrade. I bought a MKV about a moth ago and ended up returning it because the 5:50 can do 90% of what the MKV can and i like the tone of the 5;50 better. I ended up going in the opposite direction and bought a Fender Tremolux EC tweed and couldn't be happier with the combination. I have 2 very good amps with very little overlap between the two.

Latest posts

Back