Safe to play straight into poweramp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hames

Reaction score
I've got a Fifty/Fifty and I'm finding the clean tone to be much more dynamic when plugging my guitar directly in than it does when using my Quad Pre in front. It also serves as a great platform for pedals.

The Fifty/Fifty manual states that it's safe to test the power amp this way but is it safe for prolonged periods of time?

Yes.

You won't hurt anything. Most people don't do it that way because it *generally* doesn't sound very good.

I quite like playing like that when I don't need OD. I agree with you, Hames. I like the direct to the amp clean sound. At least it's more lively et dynamic than through my JMP1. Weren't preamps designed to allow crunch and distortion at lower volumes than cranked amps?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Xochitl said:
Weren't preamps designed to allow crunch and distortion at lower volumes than cranked amps?

While my Quad pre does sound good at low volumes, it just doesn't seem very "connected" to the whole system as one singular vibration from the guitar strings. Dare I say it, my MI Audio Crunchbox straight into the Fifty/Fifty out Mark IIIs my Quad Preamp. My Digitech Bad Monkey also sounds glorious into the Fifty/Fifty. Not as loud as using the Quad Pre Amp but it seems to give a lot more "amplike" repsonse. The Fifty/Fifty is really a fine sounding amp in itself.

Latest posts

Back