ROV with EL34's...I found two pairs of EL34's in my closet.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
Years ago I owned a Conrad Johnson stereo amplifier that used EL34 tubes. I forgot that I saved two matched pairs in my closet, Svetlanas, and Electro Harmonix.

Can I expect good things moving to EL34's? Can anyone describe the difference? I plan to do a little "tube rolling" tonight. (Audiophile term that means swapping out different tubes) This should be fun.

The ROV will still sound like a Rectoverb, but there will be a bit of difference in tone:

* The low end will be a bit tighter, but not as low
* the Mid will be moved from a low mid to a higher mid point
* the top end will be a bit edgier, but not sizzley

tele_jas said:
The ROV will still sound like a Rectoverb, but there will be a bit of difference in tone:

Thanks, I'm not sure I like the changes as you've described, but I'll play a bit to see for myself. My guess is the 6L6 is the way to go.

yohimbe2 said:
tele_jas said:

Thanks, I'm not sure I like the changes as you've described, but I'll play a bit to see for myself. My guess is the 6L6 is the way to go.

I had a ROV and a I prefered the EL34s over the 6L6s .

Just make sure the tubes aren't too hot or cold for the fixed bias range of your ROV.

If I were to purchase non Mesa branded tubes, I would specify to a reputable dealer what they were to be used in! I'm not sure I would rely on your experiences with those tubes! The general descriptions of an EL34 given are correct, but I would'nt assume all EL34's are the same, nor that they are intended for your amp?

jbird said:
If I were to purchase non Mesa branded tubes, I would specify to a reputable dealer what they were to be used in! I'm not sure I would rely on your experiences with those tubes! The general descriptions of an EL34 given are correct, but I would'nt assume all EL34's are the same, nor that they are intended for your amp?

In my case, these tubes are both matched pairs with equal playtime. My Conrad Johnson amp (Stereo) used four EL34's and when one would blow, I would replace the entire set of four. (Leaving me with a matched pair) I forgot all about these tubes.

EH and Svetlana EL34's are about as common as a El34 tube can get. I'm sure they will be fine in my Mesa. I'll find out tonight. Thanks for the warning though.

Common, yes, but may not be in the correct bias range of the Mesa....like said...just keep it in mind!

Don't worry about it. The bias range may not be the best for tone but it should not hurt the amp in anyway. Most resellers only have a small range (like Groove tubes 1-9 or something like that and mesa uses colors) that the tubes operate in which tells you absolutely nothing about how it will operate in YOUR amp. Each amp is different because of the tolerances of the parts and the quality of the electricity that comes to the amp.

If you're really worried about blowing the tubes you should invest in a Bias probe instead of taking people's word on what current the tubes will draw. I own an Allessandro dual bias probe and it is very useful in ensuring the tubes have a safe window before they hit their max dissapation wattage.

Greg

disassembled said:
Don't worry about it. The bias range may not be the best for tone but it should not hurt the amp in anyway. Most resellers only have a small range (like Groove tubes 1-9 or something like that and mesa uses colors) that the tubes operate in which tells you absolutely nothing about how it will operate in YOUR amp. Each amp is different because of the tolerances of the parts and the quality of the electricity that comes to the amp.

If you're really worried about blowing the tubes you should invest in a Bias probe instead of taking people's word on what current the tubes will draw. I own an Allessandro dual bias probe and it is very useful in ensuring the tubes have a safe window before they hit their max dissapation wattage.

Greg

Do you have any idea where I can find one of these? (Bias probe) It sounds like a great tool to own for both of my hobbies. Its a shame the mesa amps dont have a bias adjustment like my Conrad Johnson amps. Its no fun to guess.

I need to ask you guys, do you think if I spoke with a reputable tube dealer like dougs tubes and told him I own a rectoverb 2 combo,, that he would be able to set me up with the correct functioning el34s for my boogie??? and not need to worry about problems with my amp later.

I didn't bother with rebiasing when I ued Yellowjackets in my sinlge rec for awhile because they are a direct replacement for 6L6s, but if I were going to install EL34s I would take it to my local shop and have them rebias the amp according to Mesa's recommendations.

M

mastertrax are you saying with a rectoverb 2 I would need to take the amp in to have it rebiased if I decided to put some el34's in it instead of the 6l6's.. I f so,,,,why then would they put a switch on the back of the amp for changing between el34's and 6l6's if you needed to have it rebiased anyway. I f I didnt understand your statement Im sorry...

There is a bias switch in the back for EL34's...no need to have it re-biased...actually you can't unless you install a trim pot anyway :)
recto-robbie said:
mastertrax are you saying with a rectoverb 2 I would need to take the amp in to have it rebiased if I decided to put some el34's in it instead of the 6l6's.. I f so,,,,why then would they put a switch on the back of the amp for changing between el34's and 6l6's if you needed to have it rebiased anyway. I f I didnt understand your statement Im sorry...

Latest posts

Back