Rocket 44 suggestions, plz

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danne

Reaction score
I have a Rocket 44... What can I say? Have you ever used one? I think this amp have great potential, which means it's not sounding that great as of right now. The reason is because of the tubes, i think they are 15 years old tubes, which mean, the stock tubes. I'm the second owner, the first owner dont even know what a reverb is. The glow when i turn the amp is really bright. I think these are dying... or zombie. lol.

Previously I have a Mark IIB I loved, but the lack of usuable distortion at reasonable lvls and how bad it took OD pedals with my strato and telecaster, left a lot to be desired. I stress: at reasonable volumes; MkIIB ROCKS when CRANKED. On the other hand, I havent heard a better clean than that (yea, i bet all people say that about a lot of amps)

The clean Channel on the R44 sounds quite similar to the Mark IIB, which makes sense, from a development point of view, even though not much sense because its using different power amp tubes. It just doesn't have that low end and thud of the MkIIB, and not as ARTICULATE as the MkIIB, and I think it is because of the tubes (EL84, I think). But ****, I think this thing is even louder than the MKIIB, even at lower volumes and rated at 44 watts.

I would love my amp to sound a lot like the MkIIB in the clean department, this should be doable, since it sunds identical as of now. Also, the R44 have a usable distortion, so its kind of a MkIIB with great dist, just what im looking for.. This amp distortion is good, not great. I want a great mid/low gain distortion that's articulate to play those rock and roll indy licks, also punk and hardcore punk (think 80s Orange and Marshall, not that nu metal gainy 5150 hardcore). Someone told me this was Mesa's take on Orange amps, I wonder if that's true. If it can give low end bottom to play chunky metal rythms, would be cool.

I am obviously thinking in tubes upgrade and considering JJs. LOW output tubes would be good, this amp is insanely loud. And tubes that makes my EQ more responsible would be good. Mesa's EQ are more like "volumes" but even then, sometimes with all the gain dialed in, I do not notice much difference in the EQ department.

My guitars are a Jim Root Telecaster and a Fender American Standard from 93, 40th anniversary edition, with bartolini pickups that are a bit high output.

The Speaker: I kinda hate the stupid black shadow; that speaker killed my nomad combo. My MkIIB had a very old speaker, i think it was a C90 or a V30, dont really know. That speaker was old, but didnt stop the MkIIB from sounding great. Maybe the speakers are stopping my Rocket44 from sounding awesome, but i don't really know. If that's the case, what speaker would you recommend?

Back