Roadster VS AXE FX???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindjazz

Reaction score
Hey why is it people would trade there Roadster in for the Axe FX? SO many posts on cashing in on there Mesa rigs for a Digital rig? I was about to buy one till I played The Roadster. My opinion is if you can't make the Roadster sing in any style then you need to practice more, or you need to learn how to EQ properly. It is the amp God would play.

Hey why is it people would trade there Roadster in for the Axe FX?

I would never trade my roadster for an Axe FX. Now, I could see incorporating one into my rig in place of a pedal board....but as for core tone, I will stick with Mesa.

Laskyman

Bouncepogo said:
It all comes down to whatever rocks your boat.

+1

Remember when the Digitech 2101 rack processors (or whatever they were called) came out and everyone was gaga over them. Then they got tired of them and everyone came back to the normal amps. Some people spend more time searching for new gear rather than practicing.

Well I'd give you 2 Axe's for 1 Roadster and still make a profit in Australia :D
And I'd be much happier with the Mesa thanks.
Axe's are great no doubt, but it's got no amplication system and no foot controller.
So you still need that stuff to make it giggable.
Now an Axe-FX running in 4cm into a Roadster head into a great cab would be nice for maximum versatility.
Talking big money though :mrgreen:

AxeFX + Poweramp is more versatile and probably at least 20 pounds lighter in a smaller package than a Roadster, so it's pretty easy to see why.

In the end they are all just tools, use whatever floats your boat.

Personally i don't see it fair to compare the two as they're totally different beasts.... both of which sound stellar. The Axe as your preamp is more for people who need a lot of very different tones. The Axe is an amazing modeller but with that it can also be very tweak intensive with the bright side of once you have your tone there are no outside influences to change that (bad tubes, weather, bad cables) and its by far way more versitile than any amp i can think of. Now the Roadster to me would be for more a meat and potatoes type player who needs just a couple sounds to do what they need to do. I don't think either wins in terms of tone because both sound stellar.

At the end of the day this is how i think of amps in general... if a amp/modeller has great sound quality and you can conjure the tones you need out of it and it fits into your life financially then it doesnt matter the brand or if it has valves. Also consider the $$$ involved... the Axe Standard is $1500 new, add a good SS power amp or active speaker and your looking at about $2000-2200. I left cab out because both setups would have one. The Roadster is $2000 so off the bat its a little cheaper but now consider the amount and caliber of the fx in the Axe and you'd need to spend at least another $500 if not over $1k. Now to match the Axe's flexibility you'd need to invest in a midi switcher which could run you anywhere from $200-600 for a modest-good unit. Do the math and as you can see if you need everything the axe offers, then financially its the better fit. If your like me you buy the Roadster, the switcher and the Axe and you have it all :twisted:

I would trade it if I had another MESA. The AXE FX gets allot praise and rightfully so. I just find the AXE FX when playing it to not have allot of soul to it. Its not the same as a tube amp experience for me.

That being said, I want to get one some day.

Ase for a rack effects unit. I really want the G Major, but if I can swing an AXE FX and use that for effects, I can become a happier man. :twisted:

At the end of the day though, the Roadster will hold its value better. The Axe FX like most digital rack gear will be come cheaper. As it just came out it holds a premium now, but I can't see that holding up.

Latest posts

Back