Roadster Mercury Magnetics Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've owned my Roadster for almost 5 years now (4-25-07). I love the tones, and it is my "A-Rig". However like most of us, I like to tweak to bring out the best in my amp (NOS preamp tubes, different powertubes etc.). With that said, alot of research led me to talking with Patrick Selfridge at Mercury Magnetics about my likes (Raw uncompressed tone, Recto "Roar", big bottom end response, just about everything) and dislikes (somewhat undefined high-gain chords, lack of fluid-like response) about the Roadster, and my desire to not change the fundamental voice of the amp. I also expressed that I am not looking to get caught up in the whole "this brand tranny is better than that brand tranny" thing, I'm honestly just looking for different shades of the same color.

He recommended I change my Output Transformer and Choke with Mercury Magnetics upgrades. I also spoke with him about using different powertubes, specifically 6550/KT-88 with the MM Trannys. He said that while the OT would be up to the task, I would really be pushing the Mesa Power Transformer beyond it's design running 6550/KT-88. After a few phone calls and e-mails we deceided to replace the Power Transformer with a Mercury Magnetics one that would be designed to work with just about any Octal Socket Power Pentode that I could run in the circuit. To do this they needed my stock Mesa PT as they did not yet make a replacement PT for the Roadster.

I just picked up the Roadster today from my tech, 45 days after I dropped it off to him. All the transformers have been replaced (OT, PT, Choke & Reverb Tranny) with a set designed to work together to help improve the areas I am concerned with.

It was awesome to work with my tech, Andrew Bell of Bell Audio Labs in CT, and Patrick Selfridge at Mercury Magnetics to help design a new model PT, but also to "think outside the box" on what model Choke and Reverb transformer to use.

I've played the amp at low volume at home and have noticed some improvement in note and chord clarity, but in all fairness I'll save my review after I have some real-world playing time on the amp. Patrick recommended 30-40 hours of break in time for the trannys anyway, and I don't want to put up a "Honeymoon Phase" review either. I still have all my "Reference Tubes" (Stock Mesa's) in the amp and will wait until the break-in time has passed before I start rolling in my favorites.

Anyway, in the mean-time here are some pics. :D

roadsterMM_01.jpg

roadsterMM_02.jpg

roadsterMM_02b.jpg

OUTPUT TRANSFORMER:
roadsterMM_03.jpg

ROADSTER POWER TRANSFORMER #1
roadsterMM_04.jpg

CHOKE
roadsterMM_05.jpg

REVERB TRANSFORMER
roadsterMM_06.jpg

Dom

The Red back recto :lol: :lol: Now it really is lethal...

I have thought about upgrading transformers in my Mesa amps, but have been skeptical about if there would be much to gain. Mesa transformers are generally very good to start with. Will be very interested to hear your report when you have had time to really explore the upgrades.

Mesa transformers are generally very good to start with. Will be very interested to hear your report when you have had time to really explore the upgrades.

My F150 is generally a very good truck to start with, but after an Edge Evolution reprogrammer, it's a screamer!

I've replaced a lot of Mesa transformers with Mercury transformers. The improvement is always very noticeable!
The problem with the Mesa transformers is two-fold.
1. They have a certain budget to fit their amps into. Mesa wants to make sure that most of their high end amps are priced accordingly and competitively. Nothing wrong with that at all.
2. Frame of mind. Mesa wants to have as many options as possible for this price. So....they have to use parts that fit within a certain price point in order to turn a profit. Nothing wrong that either! It's capitalism and it means the mother fuckers are working in America!

Soldano, on the other hand, has the exact opposite frame of mind.
They offer very few options, but use incredible components. Like.....Mercury Magnetics transformers on their lower end amps!
Quite honestly, if Soldano made a 3 channel amp that had the Lucky 13 clean channel, SLO crunch and SLO lead channel with separate EQ's for each channel, a loop and reverb, I would sell all 3 of my Mesa amps in a heartbeat and never look back!

:lol: Could be the cold medicine, didn't mean to rant, but that is way too many letters to delete......That is beautiful!!!!!!!

Guess I could have just said.....
Mercury will make almost any amp sound better.......... :mrgreen:

The thing I noticed right away with the MM trannys is the size difference in actual iron. The MM Output Transformer is almost twice the size of the stock OT. The tech had to actually cut about an 1/8" off the left side cleat of the headshell to get the chassis back in.

The Power Transformer is about a 1/4" taller and wider.

Oh yea, the head is noticably heavier now too. Oh well.

Dom

J.J said:
Mesa transformers are generally very good to start with.
Absolutly. Mesa uses Schumacher transformers which are very good, but I'm sure they are made to Mesa specs for reasons mentioned earlier.

Here's a couple of more pics from the tech's bench.

This one really shows the size difference in OT. Notice the headshell cleat cut to clear the OT.
535e9b41.jpg

And here is the business end of the new PT. Andrew Bell does awesome work and I HIGHLY recommend him if you are in the CT/NY area.
ddbab555.jpg

Let's see if they live up to the hype!
roadsterMM_02c.jpg

Dom

Dom,
What do you hear different than the stock trannies?

I had a 2006 Dual Rec OT replaced with a MM OT... Better note definition, sweeter cleans and more harmonic detail. I agree completely with your reference to break-in as the iron does settle in and change in sound/tone somewhat, but not drastically.

2 questions:

I noticed from the pix you're using Mesa 6L6s yet your sig references 6550s, is there a big difference in the power tube sound?

Have you done a bias mod to the amp, and if so, did that help with the over-all tone of the amp?

kramerxxx said:
Dom,
What do you hear different than the stock trannies?

I had a 2006 Dual Rec OT replaced with a MM OT... Better note definition, sweeter cleans and more harmonic detail. I agree completely with your reference to break-in as the iron does settle in and change in sound/tone somewhat, but not drastically.

2 questions:

I noticed from the pix you're using Mesa 6L6s yet your sig references 6550s, is there a big difference in the power tube sound?

Have you done a bias mod to the amp, and if so, did that help with the over-all tone of the amp?

I haven't had the amp up to real volume yet but at low volume I definatly noticed better string clarity/note definition. I'll post a review after I have some real-world playing time on the amp.

I put all of the amps original tubes back in as a reference point. I want to treat this as a brand new amp and dial it in from "zero". I'll start rolling in my favorites after the break-in period.

I had the 6550's in before I sent the amp to the tech. IMO I really didn't notice all that much difference between them and the SED =C= 6L6GC I normally run, maybe a little clearer in the lows. I'm hoping for better results with the 6550's now that I have the MM Iron.

Yes I have modded the amp to have adjustable bias (http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54589), and generally prefer a cleaner output section in the Roadster and usually bias in the 50%-60% MPD range. To me the =C= 6L6GC's sounded best around 50% MPD, which is not too far from Mesa's bias results with YEL grade STR-440's IME. The bias mod just gives me more options on the specs of the tubes I try in the amp.

Dom

I am so excited for you...I can't wait to hear what you have to say.

They are really nice looking too, although that really does not mean anything LOL.

I had a chance to get the amp to band volume tonite and I'm happy to report it doesn't suck! :twisted:

First thing I noticed is the low end has much more definition, and the mid control in Ch 4 Modern seems sweeter. I can get the bass up to 1:30-2:00 in that channel now without flubbing out. The amp overall is much clearer.

Still sounds like the same amp as before, just somewhat clearer and more punch. String/note separation in high-gain chords seems much better also.

Time will tell, but happy so far.....

Dom

Back