Roadster, Mark IV, Diezel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Vocals aren't in yet, but the rest of it is on it's way.

Comment's are much appreciated.

There's a mix of Diezel Herbert, Mark IV, and Roadster in there.

Thanks,
Zed

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9324801

Guitars sound great! Nice textures with gain, from overdrive to crunch to high-gain. Since you're asking opinions, perhaps improve the sound of the toms, maybe find a way to add definition (eq?). Curious how you're going to mix in the vocals, that should be a challenge. Very nice though, good clean playing, crisp and clear.

Sounds good.
The only thing that bothered me is that the drums are too much on the background.
Maybe you could mix in some drumsamples on the kick and snare.

My 2 cents. :lol:

I leveled the guitars a little better and fixed a bunch of drum problems.

I also added a little basic mastering to it to tighten up all the volumes (yay volume war).

Comments are much appreciated,

same link

Thanks,
Zed

paintballnsk said:
I leveled the guitars a little better and fixed a bunch of drum problems.

I also added a little basic mastering to it to tighten up all the volumes (yay volume war).

Comments are much appreciated,

same link

Thanks,
Zed

Excellent!

Hey guys,

I blended the snare with the SSD Dream Kit snare, and I remixed the kick drum a little bit.

Keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate them.

Thanks

Yes. I think the mix has about 32 tracks so far.

Here's a list of gear used on the track:

No idea what drums were used, other than Meinl cymbals all around. And the shells were roughly $3000 for all the pieces from what they tell me. The snare is blended with SSD (Dream kit), and the rest is all in the mix.
The snare and shells were recorded with SM57s. The kick was with an AKG D112. The overheads were with a pair of blue bluebirds in AB pattern. The drums were recorded in what I call the "live" room. It has a more open space with hard flooring.

Diezel Herbert through a Diezel frontloaded 412 with k100s and a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Classic with upgraded pickups was used on the left channel for all of the heavily distorted tracks.
Mesa Roadster through an Orange 412 with original v30s and an Ibanez SZ4020 w/D-Activator X pickups was used on the right channel all of the heavily distorted tracks.
Mark IV 1x12 combo was used for the dirty/clean tones on the pre-chorus, and used on the guitar solo.

A single SM57 was used on each guitar track.

The bass was an American Peavey circa late 1980's with a brass nut, di-marzio pickups (I think), and a sans-amp pre-amp with sonic maximizer. I took a DI track out of the rack, and I took a D112 with Mesa 4x12 cab for more low end. The bass player plays with a pick and had some minor fret buzz problems that will be fixed on the next recording session.

That's about it so far. We'll try bluebirds on the vocals, but may go with a Beta-52, depending on how they work out of him.

I hope after the next session we'll get it good enough to send it off for mastering.

A new version will be up as soon as we have a weekend free to track it. We got rid of some of the major modulation in the pre-chorus. It keeps the rest of the song flowing a little heavier. The band has taken step away from the darker mellow groove stuff and into a mix of the faster paced classic metal stuff.

-Zed

Here's my comments.

The guitars have a good start. There's no low mids in the mix and very little bottom at all. Over all a very thin sounding mix. What speakers are you mixing on? Are they over emphasizing the low end? The guitars image sounds bigger when they go cleaner in the :40's and sound good 1:15. I think you need to take a little bit of 800-1k out of snare with a pretty sharp Q. I'd punch up the kick with some 50 Hz. The toms are too distant sounding. The base could use a bit more 800 Hz with a medium Q. as well as maybe some more lows (play around between 50 and 150).

I dig the low pass filtering you are doing at the beginning and end. The song sounds good. I think fixing your bass guitar sound will make your guitars sound less thin and solidify your mix.

I'm mixing on 5" yamaha's with a sub. I have trouble with teh low end obviously because the 5" yamahas aren't rated below 50hz.

There was too much low end about a week ago. I will have to find a balance. I can usually solve this problem by doing a little EQ mix with my sennheiser ear buds (18hz to 20khz) since that's what I'm used to listening to every day at work.

This will probably be my last update until we re-track the song and add vocals. This was our "trial run" basically. Once I add the low end, do you think it's a good mix ready for mastering?

I have been recording with just a sm 57 for a year now, with my 4x12 , and have not been satisfied with my sound, it lacks deepth basicly . i noticed that the top names tend to blend the 57 with somthing else .

There is a mic setup that seem to be the rock/metal producers fav, and thats the sennheiser md 421 and the 57 combined.

The sennheiser would be placed to handel from the upper mids and down, the 57 from the mids and up.

I reasonly bourgt a md 421 to go with my 57 and now my guitars sounds like pro recordings , i still need a good condenser for room reverb.

You will get a much deeper sound with amazing bass difinition with running the two mics as described,

Hey guys,

I added some bottom end to the strings per several suggestions. Let me know if it got too muddy. I'll give it the car test tomorrow morning :)

Thanks,
Zed

Better. I think you could add another .5 db of 50hz to the kick just to make it thump a bit. Then, add some 800 hz to the bass. It's a little bit too scooped for my taste. However... this is a big improvement.

-tom

Latest posts

Back