Roadster Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent a mail to mesa 10 days ago and a reminder yesterday
I m still waiting for an answer ....

I hope they going to give an answer, and give me a solution to fix mine in france !

Maybe i'm just lucky but my roadster makes only one small click when changing channels..even when changing from Ch1 to Ch4...I never cycle through channels on standby and I never do the tuner mute thing and I never get large pop's.

I've had several 3 channel dual and triple rectos, and still have a Triple and a new Roadster head...they have all popped when first powering up, pretty loud, then after cycling through it is only a minor clicking noise...which is not noticable at rehearsal or gig volume levels, only a bedroom levels...I tend to think this is normal for for the entire Recto series...

i took back a 2x12 roadster for the head and have no popping or channel switching delays. weird.

Dude the Mesa sounds kickass. How dare you come on these boards and complain! lol :p

BTW are you sure the popping doesnt jsut happen in the jam room? Remember the shotty grounding in there also makes it pop when todd turns the lamp on and off!

See you at Jam.

shroomfinger said:
I just bought a roadster 2x12 last week. I scroll through the channels on standby and keep the output level on zero and still get pops when i first turn standby off. Has anyone here spoken to Mesa directly about this and if so what was their explanation? It only seems to happen on some of the amps which worries me. How is your fan noise ? mine seems louder than normal.

I had that annoying pop from ch4 modern to ch3 vintage every time on my Road King Series 1 head. Then about a few weeks ago it just stopped.

Strange, but awesome. :lol:

It made me soo happy i cranked that mofo and shook the house. 8) :lol:

GazPots said:
I had that annoying pop from ch4 modern to ch3 vintage every time on my Road King Series 1 head. Then about a few weeks ago it just stopped.

Strange, but awesome. :lol:

It made me soo happy i cranked that mofo and shook the house. 8) :lol:

Happy for you :D i'm about to sell my recto pre and 2:100 for a roadster, i'm a little in between :roll:

Marcus at Mesa is really the best to explain the problems becuase he was an amp tester at Mesa for six years.

My RK II was a popper, but my RK II V.2 does not pop at all, like my RK 1. It does pop on the first mute use, but stops after that.

Now I'm trying to hunt down why my Ch. 3 and 4 have gone to mud all of a sudden. No attack at all. It's like playing with rubber bands for strings.
Flub, Flub and Flub.

Just an idea for consideration of you techy types: Remember the original Mark II that used a relay to engage the lead circuit and lead master? Pop was just a way of life for this amp. When the relays were replaced with LDR's the problem was gone. Now all of the recto and newer amps are chock full of relays. There are a few nano seconds of open circuit time when these little solinoids mechanically swing a switch. Also some time back I discovered that (At least on my Mark Amp) you cannot power ON the amp and standby switch at the same time. The amp just makes a farting kind of sound and will not play untill you put it in standby for several seconds and allow the power supply to "come up". Consequently I've never seen this problem on a Fender only on Boogies. I've read somewhere that by doing this you seriously age your tubes by allowing the current surge to "rip electrons from the plates" before the filaments have come up to temp. Not a very technical explaination I know but anyway your popping problem requires a very technical engineering solution to aleviate the pop without introducing resonant and inductive components that would otherwise interfere with the tonal character of the circuit.

Yes, it's a **** annoying problem that you can't just buy a part and solder in. I don't want to take my amp in as I want to play it and I need it for the band. Very inconvenient!

Ciao ...

Back