Roadster for Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, SRV, Ultra High Gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleMind

Reaction score
Hei
i am considering to buy myself a new Amp. Have narrowed the options to those to possibilities which means Messa Roadster or Peavey JSX.
Guitars: Ibanez JS1, Jem FP, YJM Strat. Is the Roadster a good choice for that kind of music or would you prefer the JSX?
Thanks a lot :)

Above all else get the Mesa! :D However if cost is an issue then look at the Orange Rocket verb 50. If you still are looking at Peavey (Heaven Forbid) then go with a XXX.

Roadster is better than all those listed but you're not getting into SRV territory without a tubescreamer et. al mid-hump overdrive to go with it. The recto series is very midscooped.. just my opinion.

It will do Satch/high gain no problem.

how much do the stiletto's sound like a marshall,are the really marshally or are they a little more defined than a Marshall

The Stilettos are Mesa amps still so you have to know that they are more Mesa sounding than a Marshall but they still get close to that Marshall type sound. They are hard to describe without playing one. Side by side you which one is which. I still prefer a real Marshall if I am looking for those tones.

The Peavey JSX is a great amp. You can't go wrong with that. The Roadster is nice too.

For Satriani's stuff the JSX is the best choice though you can get there with a Marshall too with outboard effects. Vai's sound is so buried in effects that you can get there with just about any good tube amp. He chose the Carvin Legacy his signature amp for a while. Of course, Malmasteen is all about an OD pushed 50 watt non-master volume Marshall. SRV can be had through Fenders or even some Marshalls. The old Marshall Club and Country somes to mind when thinking about Stevie Ray.

Stevie did play a dumble(howard) and If ya find one for sale mate give me a shout and I'll remortage for it hahaha :p

I think both amps would do the jobb. The Mesa is more expensive, but i like that High gain sound which is maybe a little more defined than the JSX? Its a once in a live investment and i don`t have the possibility to test them side by side, so i want to do as much research as possible to avoid that i have to regret afterwards and find out that i should have taken the other amp. But after all ists a luxury problem. I mean the JSX is good enough for Joe Satriani so its pretty should **** sure that that thing is good enough for me. But thanks a lot for all the response- i am thankfull to all who can contribute with there own experience.

I can easily get into SRV/Mayer/Hendrix land on my Roadster - channel 2 brit mode with medium gain and 100 watt/tube rectifier mode. Don't really need my tube screamer to get more out of the amp, I usually just crank the solo control a little to give me a little extra for solos.

What about the other sounds which means Steve Vai, Satriani, evtl Malmsteen and ultra high gain?
Are you pleased with your Roadster also when looking at the price?
I hope you can answer me. :oops:

Does ANYONE know of a good way to get satch, malmsteen, etc. tones out of a roadster or (for my tone bettering) a Road King II?

No, no, no. If you want all those sounds, you probably need to get a modeling amp like a Line6 Vetta II. I'm serious. I sold my Stiletto and Roadster and got a Line6. I'm so glad I did. I don't tour or gig so I didn't need a big amp anyway. The modeling amps get so **** near close to many different amps that it just made more sense to me.

As far as a great high-gain vai/satch tone, yeah, it's in the amp. I lean more towards the Petrucci lead tones though, but the higher-midrange satch tone is there with a little more presence and mids.

Latest posts

Back