Roadster for LoneStar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coeur de Blues

Reaction score
I realized I'm not a Recto fan, so I want to sale my Roadster head to buy a Lone Star head. What do you think about that ? I play mostley blues and soft rock.

I ordered the amplifier for his fickleness without to have tested it (one of the first delivered to Canada, No series 00000058). When I had it (May 2006) I sold my F30 of which I believe now that I preferred the disto type. Ex. I never use channel 4 in the Roadster.

Since the Lonestar cleans are already in the Roadster, why do you want to get rid of it. Your styles may change and you may want that Recto sound again. I would hang on to it.

Roadster cleans are not 100% Lonestar cleans. I would say about 80% maybe?

barneyc4 said:
Roadster cleans are not 100% Lonestar cleans. I would say about 80% maybe?

If you're referring to the Roadster Combo, that's only because of the cabinet properties (ported vs Open back).

I have both a RK II combo (A Roadster with progressive linkage) and a LSC 2x12 and they sound the same...the only real difference is in the reverb -- the LSC has a warm and bright setting while the Rk II defaults to Bright.

At lower volumes they're indistinguishable, at full volumes they stray apart only slightly...and and this is due to the larger cab size of the RK II combo.

However, When I A/B'd them both through the same 2x12 cab -- it is virtually impossible to tell them apart. And forget about in a band mix - indistinguishable.

If you don't use the "recto" side of the amp, I don't see any point in keeping it...... Although Channel 2 is pretty cool. I do think the Lonestar would be better suited for your needs.

If you do sell the Roadster and get a lonestar, you can always get a good OD pedal to put in front of it to push it in to harder territory if you ever need to.

Just my $.02 worth.

tele_jas said:
If you don't use the "recto" side of the amp, I don't see any point in keeping it......

I am definitely not a "Recto" person, but have put channels 3 and 4 on my RK II into service -- it took me a while but with my BB Preamp, and 10 Band EQ in the loop, I get excellent tones out of these 2 channels. I tend to keep the gain in the 9 to 11 O'clock range...and get great, Mark like lead tones.

I keep hearing about the cleans on the lonestar but how's it as far as gain?
more like a stilleto? how much gain on tap compared to the Roadster (which is what I have)

Some good classic rock gain, but not any "heavy" rock type of gain on tap. The best way to describe it would be a really good sounding Fender Hot rod deluxe with the gain up about 80%. A BB preamp would probably get you to the harder stuff, or a Mesa V-Twin/Bottle Rocket would sound pretty good in front of it too.

Compared to the Roadster, the drive is a little "looser" and darker.. As for the gain level, it's about like the Raw mode on channel 3 with the gain about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up.

The gain is nothing like a Stiletto at all, the Stelitto is a Marshall based tone, where the Lonestar is a "Texas" based blues/classic rock tone.

JAZZGEAR said:
tele_jas said:
If you don't use the "recto" side of the amp, I don't see any point in keeping it......

I am definitely not a "Recto" person, but have put channels 3 and 4 on my RK II into service -- it took me a while but with my BB Preamp, and 10 Band EQ in the loop, I get excellent tones out of these 2 channels. I tend to keep the gain in the 9 to 11 O'clock range...and get great, Mark like lead tones.

care to share settings? Also, are you using the MXR 10 band eq? I'm assuming you're using the BB in the front end of the amp?

Latest posts

Back