roadster clean

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coker

Reaction score
went to guitar center today they had a 90's era fender twin amp (not considered the best twin) but it still left me hungry for the fender clean. any thoughts on how to get there with my roadster. I have also considered selling it and getting a mark iv or v will those get me closer in he clean dept. any help would be appreciated.

Plug your Roadster into a Fender cab loaded with Jensens.

You can swap amps if you want, but at the end of the day it'll still sound like you're plugged into a closed back 4x12 loaded with V30s.

I never thought about the difference in open back cab and Jensen speaker I will have to try to figure out a way to try that, do you think a mark v combo might get a little closer since it is open back then changing the speaker.

Coker said:
I never thought about the difference in open back cab and Jensen speaker I will have to try to figure out a way to try that, do you think a mark v combo might get a little closer since it is open back then changing the speaker.

For half the price of a Mark V you could buy a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

The clean/fat/tweed on the Roadster is fairly similar to the clean/fat/tweed on the Mark V. The Recto's clean is a bit bigger with a deeper bottom while the Mark V is a little crisper and mid forward... but it's basically two different flavours of the same sound.

The deluxe reverb breaks up at volume. Which is good for some things. But I want twin clean. I've been thinking about the mark v because I'm no longer in a metal band and would like the marks sound better for the direction I want to go

If you want to get closer to that "ice pick" sound you can get from a twin then the Mark V will definitely do it without trying...hehe.. I haven't experienced that with the Roadster but I doubt it'll get there. The top end seems to round out earlier and it's a bit looser...not as immediate...to me that is.

Coker said:
The deluxe reverb breaks up at volume. Which is good for some things. But I want twin clean. I've been thinking about the mark v because I'm no longer in a metal band and would like the marks sound better for the direction I want to go

I can understand wanting to switch from the Recto tone to the Mark's lead voice. It's f*cking awesome and there's a reason my Rectos are generally collecting dust these days.

However, I'm not understanding why you're saying you want a Twin's clean and then say you're after a Mark. The clean on the Mark V is basically on par with and similarly voiced to the Roadster while the Mark IV's is significantly worse than either amp.

I have been thinking of switching amps for a while now because of the overdrive channels. I just recently played a twin and miss that sound and wondering if anyone had insight on how to get me close with the roadster or mark v if I were to switch so far no takers on the classified section may put it on ebay to see what I could get. also looking at prs archon but have not actually played one.

This is a day late and a dollar short.
I have a friend who has a 65'ish twin. His comment about the Roadster channel 1 in tweed sounds almost like his Fender. Note: my cab is loaded with EV Black Label speakers. The only way I prefer V30's are with the Royal Atlantic 100.

Compared to the Mark V (when it was a head) he also liked the tone out of that too. I had since then converted the V to a combo (yes, also stuffed EV in there too). Just does not sound right with the V30's or MC90. When my friend was over last, his preference was for the Roadster.

Also had a Mark IV (now sold) No comparison to the Mark V. The tweed on the Roadster I feel is much better than the Mark V (tweed in the Mark V is terrible and harsh at full power, but sounds a bit nicer in variac mode). Too bad the V does not have Rectifier capabilities at 90W, at 45W it seems a bit lifeless. Roadster at 50W or 100W is a pleasure to play with. I love the character of the rectifier sag I get from the Roadster, seems non-existent with the V.

The two amps I use the most: Roadster (though EV cab) and RA100 (through V30 cab). Mark V basically took the back seat since I got the Roadster. Same thing happened to my Mark III when I got the Mark IV, as well as the Mark IV when I got the Mark V. I still like the V every now and then.

Latest posts

Back