Roadster Ch 2 settings for "marshall" sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kick6

Reaction score
Trying to get that classic punk sound out of the brit mode in ch2 on my roadster. I know its never going to sound like a marshall, but this mode is supposed to mimic one. What are your preferred settings to get as close as possible?

Just my opinion but for a '70s Marshall type tone like that, Channel 3 in Raw mode does that much better. I can dial it in to sound just like my '78 Marshall JMP running through a '77 cabinet with black back 25 watters.

Set the Mesa's gain to taste somewhere between 1 and 3 o'clock and bump the mids up a little bit. Your own settings will likely vary anyhow because I ditched the V30's in my 2x12 Recto cab a long time ago in favor of G12K-100's.

I'd say, if you wanna use the brit mode, to start by putting EL34s in your amp, that should really help!

EL-34s really bring the crunch.

Either that, or buy an Electra Dyne / Royal Atlantic. In my opinion, I can get the Greenday Dookie 'army of strats through a marshall' tone with my Electra Dyne. I LOOVE IT!!!

The classic punk sound also came from Fenders turned way the f*ck up, and I've had better luck getting good driven tones out of channel on 1 Tweed than I ever did out of channel 2's Brit mode.

I have to second what Screaming Daisy wrote. The Brit mode cuts through nicely, but it doesn't get as crunchy at loud volumes as you may think. I always found the Tweed mode to be more Marshall sounding than the Brit mode. Here is another secret to getting a more Marshall-like tone from you Roadster: On channel 3, modern mode, kill the treble and bass completely (set to zero). Then, put the gain up between 10-noon. Dime the mids and presence and crank the volume. The sound you will get is a glorious one, albeit completely unorthodox. Try it!

Here is a clip of me playing around with those very settings, to which, I garnered some pretty good reviews of the tone:

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=10853

And another:

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=10852

screamingdaisy said:
The classic punk sound also came from Fenders turned way the f*ck up, and I've had better luck getting good driven tones out of channel on 1 Tweed than I ever did out of channel 2's Brit mode.
+1

never got a decent sound with brit mode, so i switched the 2nd ch into "fat" mode and set it up as my clean channel.
turn up the gain on the 1st ch in tweed mode and you´ll get what you are looking for.

Mighty fine tone, with them unorthodox settings. very Marshally indeed. There's still a little bit of that Mesa low mid grunt but then again the amp's front says MESA ENGINEERING :D

Bookmarked if I ever own a Roadster :mrgreen:

As I've always said, turn up the treble and gain to the 3 o'clock region. If there's too much gain, turn down the gain, but keep the treble up...

Gawd, turning up the treble makes things too piercing. I am all in favor of turning off the treble and bass. Cranked, it does the Roadster's channel 3, modern mode, wonders!

BostonRedSox said:
Gawd, turning up the treble makes things too piercing. I am all in favor of turning off the treble and bass. Cranked, it does the Roadster's channel 3, modern mode, wonders!

You can always turn down the presence to compensate. But then again, I quite like the brighter tones ala the old school Marshalls. Once you put it into a band mix, it sounds all good... 8)

KH Guitar Freak said:
BostonRedSox said:

You can always turn down the presence to compensate. But then again, I quite like the brighter tones ala the old school Marshalls. Once you put it into a band mix, it sounds all good... 8)

Me too! That is why I ended up with a custom Royal Atlantic! I liked the ability of the Roadster to cop those brighter and more cutting Marshall-esque tones. Then I played the Royal Atlantic. The comparison was no contest. The Royal Atlantic has an organic breakup distortion quality that I don't find in the gain-rich Roadster amp. Love my Royal Atlantic. It just cuts. If I need it to be a little darker, I can turn down the treble and up the bass, or use the power soak to thicken the tone some.

I'm for experimenting with channels 1 and 2 to get the tone I want. I have channel 3 dialed in for my modern punk/emo sound in vintage mode, and don't really want to mess with it! Buying a whole nother amp and/or swapping tubes is out of the question. I didn't buy this amp specifically to get a Marshally sound....that'd be dumb, I'd be better off just buying the Marshall, but now that I have it I want to do the best I can.

Latest posts

Back