ROADSTER 2X12 PROBLEMS *NEED HELP*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikhor

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I got my used mesa boogie roadster after a 2 months of wait from the US, bought off eBay, he traveled by sea to my country (Venezuela), the problem is, here’s no mesa dealers or any service center, when i finally get a sounding amp it begging’s to smell burned, so I turned it off immediately, here is the symptoms:

1_A big HUM on every channel.
2_Only lights up the right pair of 6l6 (the other pair lights on the right side too)
3_The rectifier’s tubes don’t light up.
4_When turn the amp in rectifier tracking mode don’t sound, and 100w begging’s to smells burned.
5_the amp only sounds with a big HUM on every channel in diode mode with the right pair of 6l6 working alone.
6_Sometimes the 6l6 from the left side and the rectos makes a blue spark.

I know you tube and mesa freaks can help me, any advice will be helpful, I don’t have any tube replacement at the time, if any of you know how to contact a mesa repair man would be great.

I'd start by swapping out all the power tubes and the rectifier tubes.... Sounds like a big hassle, but if those were left in the socket when shipped they may be damaged. I wouldn't turn it on until you replace the tubes or you could cause some major damage inside and HAVE to have a Mesa repair guy fix it.

You might also pull out all the preamp tubes are re-seat them.

That's where I'd start.

sounds really bad. What voltage are you plugging into, 110 or 220? What voltage does the boogie take?

good luck

ikhor said:
Hello Guys, I got my used mesa boogie roadster after a 2 months of wait from the US, bought off eBay, he traveled by sea to my country (Venezuela), the problem is, here’s no mesa dealers or any service center, when i finally get a sounding amp it begging’s to smell burned, so I turned it off immediately, here is the symptoms:

1_A big HUM on every channel.
2_Only lights up the right pair of 6l6 (the other pair lights on the right side too)
3_The rectifier’s tubes don’t light up.
4_When turn the amp in rectifier tracking mode don’t sound, and 100w begging’s to smells burned.
5_the amp only sounds with a big HUM on every channel in diode mode with the right pair of 6l6 working alone.
6_Sometimes the 6l6 from the left side and the rectos makes a blue spark.

I know you tube and mesa freaks can help me, any advice will be helpful, I don’t have any tube replacement at the time, if any of you know how to contact a mesa repair man would be great.

here is v110, I think I have to buy a complete tube set, I don’t know but sound like an internal problem, maybe a resistance its burned out but is very weird, in my town there is only one tube amp repair man and is not a mesa guy. Holy crap!
thx for the advice TELE

Did the amp sound bad from day one? Did you check the speaker connection to enure it was plugged in to the correct ohmage load?

I agree do a complete retube, always a good idea with a "new" used amp. If the problem persists shut it down and pray its not an OT.

The Roadsters are great amps. If their scarce in your area I'd send it to Mesa if the problem is not solved by a complete retube. IMO better to send it to the people that know how to fix it than someone local that could cause more harm and charge you and not correct the problem.

Just my .02.

Good luck!

clutch71 said:
Did the amp sound bad from day one? Did you check the speaker connection to enure it was plugged in to the correct ohmage load?

yes the amp sounded bad from 1st day, the connection is on 8ohm, i will buy a comple tube set, i dont have another idea, no special service here. Holy crap i hate this situation.

Sounds like a burnt grid resistor from a bad power tube. If your "Tech" is worth his salt, he should be able to fix it in an hour. It shouldn't matter if he is a "Boogie" guy or not. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back