Roadking II combo fan noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexOsadzinski

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm privileged to join this group and look forward to reading and contributing as much as possible.

I bought a new Roadking II 2x12 combo today. It's quite a work of art and I'm having fun beginning to explore it. I had a question that I know that y'all will be able to help me with: the little PC fan that blows onto the output transformer is quite loud. I can't hear it when I'm playing, but, in my very small home studio, it's pretty loud when I'm not playing. I can DI for recording, of course, but I wondered if the fan noise was normal? I know that you can turn the fan off on some Mesa amps, but apparently not on this one, which is a pity as I'll never heat the output transformer up much in home use.

Thanks for any help/advice.....Alex.

I called Mesa today with this and some other questions, and Chris there told me that the fan shouldn't be overly noisy, but that it should be audible. I asked about replacing it with something quieter (there are plenty of PC fans that are larger, slower-moving and quieter). He said that doing that on its own doesn't void the warranty, but, if it led to a problem caused by overheating or the like, it could void the warranty.

I'll see if I get used to it and, if I don't, I'll change it out and will report the results here.

Thanks for everyone's helpful replies. So nice to be on a board with helpful people who don't just abuse each other all the time (like on so many other boards).

Not to be a cock... but... who cares? If your amp is on, you are probably using it which means you won't be able to hear the fan anyway. So what if you can hear a little whurr-whurr in the background while you take a break? Consider it ambient noise. I would never risk voiding my warranty and possibly overheating my amp cuz I didn't like my fan's loudness :?

^ i agree 100%. From the moment I fired up my RKII, I could hear the fan. At first I thought "I'm too much of a tone addict to let this go"... but after playing a few chords I quickly forgot about the fan. I record in a small home studio, and the noise doesn't interfere with my recordings at all. I wouldn't ever change a **** thing on that amp...

in 20 years that fan buzz is going to be the most coveted tone asset ever. lol.

I, too, strive for non-cockness at all times :D . The only concern is when recording (I prefer a miced amp to DI). But, as you say, it's actually not a big deal and I already find that I'm noticing it less. I AM a little surprised that Mesa uses such a loud fan, as there's room for a larger, low-speed silent fan that would move more air, and I can't imagine that the cost difference is significant, if there even is one. But, given that Mesa seems to think hard about every component, and doesn't skimp on quality, there is presumably a reason.

Latest posts

Back