Road King STILL cutting out during gigs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctadre

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had some issues in the past with my road king I having signal dropout and loss, especially in the channels 3 and 4. I followed the advice here and used chinese tubes in V3 and V4, which are the cathode follower positions.

I also replaced positions V1 V2 and V5 with Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tubes, which all worked fine and sounded great. I gigged with it a couple of weeks ago no problems, then last night I was getting a lot of cut out again.

Now, last night I also used a Line 6 G30 wireless system. Its digital, so there shouldnt be any signal cutout or anything caused by this unless the battery dies. I switched over to a cable during the 3rd set and didnt experience any dropout after. I suspect the wireless, but it doesnt look like it should be the culprit.

Does anyone know what I can do to make sure my Road King is working in tip top shape and wont have issues? Was it more likely the amp or the wireless?

Thank you,

Dre

Could be a bad cable from the wireless to the amp. If the cable you used for the gig is a different one and did not give you dropouts, use that cable from the wireless to the amp and see if the dropouts go away. If so, get a new cable.

There could also be a fault with the wireless.

Good luck.

Dom

id first blame it on your body pack cable, ive heard they put the ones in the box that maybe get you 6-12 months use, then charge another 40-50 bucks for the "proper" one. Ive got the line 6 XDS probably a cheaper version than what you got but the cable on mine if i move it in certain directions on teh body pack i get massive crackling, And dropout type issues...so i screw the **** thing on super tight, But not to tight.(Thats what she said)
But takes care of issues for the most part, wireless' are awesome but can be bitches in certain venues.

Hope this helps or you have solved your prob by now.
Cheers
-Yetti

The G30 uses standard 1/4" instrument connectors, nothing special.

However, I use a G30 Relay as well, and I would not recommend using the provided body pack cable. It is only for use with $99 First Act guitars IMO. I personally got the bulk Planet Waves Cable Station cable and made my own custom length cable.

The wireless unit itself is rock solid. And when the battery juice is low, you will see the indicator light flash at you from the receiver. Hope this helps.

Ok, I did some testing and figured out it was the body pack of the G30 that was cutting out before. There is something wrong when you use my particular unit for an hour or 2, then any squeezing of the pack itself gets the battery red led flashing, and it flickers between good battery and low battery. This was causing signal cutoff. I am currently working with Line 6 to remedy this.

However, I was playing another gig last weekend, and towards the end of the night, my Road King amp was losing volume when switching to channel 4. I would cycle through channels 1 and 2, then hit 3 and it came back quick, but I am very concerned. I still do not feel like I can "trust" my Road King.

I have Sovtek LPS tubs in positions 1, 2, and 5. Chinese Groovetubes in positions 3 and 4 for the cathode follower recommendations.

Is there a more reliable tube I should put somewhere? Maybe something different in the phase inverter, which I believe is V5? Could it be the transformer, or anything else other than preamp tubes?

Thanks!

Dre

The only other thing I can do is to try and use strictly Mesa tubes, which are tested and spec'd higher than standard tubes.

Anything I could be missing?

Thanks,

Dre

Unless the Mesa branded tubes are the new re-labeled JJ's you'll still need those GT Chinese for the cathode follower spots.

Run the guitar with a good cable straight into the amp and hard bypass the loop.

Are you 100% sure there's no issues with the guitar? You could also try cleaning the output Jack. They are so cheap I usually replace mine once a year when I re-do my setup. They get corroded and weak after repeated use.

Dom

Yea, if I go the Mesa tube route I will keep the Chinese ones in those spots.

I'm pretty sure the guitar is fine. It only was affected on Channel 3 and 4 at the time. Switching to 1 or 2, then switching back to 3 after a little while helped bring it back.

Weird stuff. Would a bad Cap or component be causing something like this?

Dre

Latest posts

Back