RK2: 8-16 Ohm Speaker Output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
Something I noticed on my RK2 is that there are two sets of speaker jacks, A & B. What's odd is that for each set there are two 4 ohm jacks for running a pair of 8 ohm cabs and one jack that is labeled 8-16 Ohms. There is no 8 or 16 ohm switch for this jack. The only thing the manual says is that the amp really won't care if you mix impedances here. That it may only affect head-room etc. So, it seems you can run a single 8 or 16 ohm cab off that single output jack.

Anyone else notice this? I believe the RK1s had two 4 ohm jacks and an 8 ohm jack.

Dave

Interesting because I don't think the manual shows that. Just 8 ohms. So I assume you can connect any 8 or 16 ohm cab?

My RK I has 2 4ohm and 1 8-16ohm outs for each a and b. The manual I have gets pretty specific about which are safe matches and mismatches.
I run two 4ohm loads at the same time with no problems or loss of headroom so I would have to say that it's designed to handle that but probably nothing more.

my big question about this; and I have a RK1; is lets say I'm running 2 8 ohm 2x12's in speakers send A, so I plug them into the 4 ohm sends' for correct impedance's. Now here is the question, lets say I wanted to run and extension 4x12 in output send B If I had a channel where both A and B outputs where selected will that be an overall ohm ratting lower then the amp can handle or will that still be 2 different ohms ratings on 2 different sends and they have nothing to do with each other?

LOOPJUNKIE said:
my big question about this; and I have a RK1; is lets say I'm running 2 8 ohm 2x12's in speakers send A, so I plug them into the 4 ohm sends' for correct impedance's. Now here is the question, lets say I wanted to run and extension 4x12 in output send B If I had a channel where both A and B outputs where selected will that be an overall ohm ratting lower then the amp can handle or will that still be 2 different ohms ratings on 2 different sends and they have nothing to do with each other?
I asked a mesa tech the same question and the only answer I got was that the RK could handle it. Unfortunately he wouldn't give me an explaination.
I run 4 ohms on the a/out and 4ohms on the b/out but I only use the both together for short periods of time like solo's and clean parts. I'm thinking it may suck the life out of your tubes if you were running a and b all the time with 2 4ohm loads. But that's just my uneducated guess.

Latest posts

Back