Review of New 12AX7 Design: TechTube E813CC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timbre Wolf said:
I was surprised to listen to a lower-transconductance E813CC that I'd burned in for over 40 hours, and hear what seemed more bass than I originally estimated. I've yet to compare the burned in tube to one that is not burned in, to see if there are tonal changes.

- T

After I burned both of mine in, one normal and one higher gain, both seemed to exhibit a fuller tone in lower mids and bass than the tones I remember hearing before burn in FWIW. To my ears that is a good thing!

Timbre Wolf said:
I was surprised to listen to a lower-transconductance E813CC that I'd burned in for over 40 hours, and hear what seemed more bass than I originally estimated. I've yet to compare the burned in tube to one that is not burned in, to see if there are tonal changes.
I was wrong :oops:

After subsequent listening sessions, and comparisons with a non-burned-in version, I've found that there is no significant change to the bass, when comparing the two. My initial impressions of this tube were that it had thinner bass than many 12AX7. But on careful listening, it is the reduced low-mid body that gives this illusion. The bass is fine - I'm just not as used to hearing it without support of fatter low-mids.

Low-mid body is an important element of an overall tone, to me (for my taste). There is a certain richness and impact that it provides.

Another point: I've been able to try samples from the ends of the gain range TechTube offers. They have four graded gain ranges, from G1 (lowest gain, basically a 12AX7 spec) to G4 (highest gain, with transconductance at nearly 150% of the G1). In sequential listening tests, these both maintain the same tonal character. That is, the frequency ranges emphasized (or de-emphasized) remains consistent. They sound like each other - in case anyone was wondering.

- T

:shock:

I read the news today - oh $#@^%*!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/blackburn/4642860.Historic_Blackburn_firm_in_administration/

Is this the end of the road for TechTubes? I sincerely hope not, but it does not look good, at all. :cry:

- T

Back