Rev. E Dual Rec, orange channel very dark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blisster

Reaction score
Hi all,

New-ish Mesa owner and new to the board.

Last year I acquired a Rev. E Dual rec (sn# 51x), but have only recently really started playiing it on a regular basis at band volumes. I recently completely re-tubed it with a matched quad of JJ E34L's as well as the 'hi-gain' front end kit from Eurotubes and a new set of rectifiers (the GZ34's also from Eurotubes).

I've noticed that the orange channel is very dark compared to the red channel, almost muddy, and I'm not really able to get a decent 'vintage' tone out of it. Additionally there is a pretty substantial level of 'line-hum' from the amp when I am plugged in (even when muted via my tuner pedal).

I don't know much aboutthe history of the amp, so I'm not sure if its ever been re-capped.

Any ideas what the issue may be? Thanks for any insight!

:?:

oh, and forgot to mention that this 'darkness' was present before I re-tubed the amp as well, and isn't a manifestation of the new tubes.

Hello and welcome to the Mesa community!

I've owned several of the Rectifier revisions from that era, including a Revision E. This was several years ago, but from what I recall, the clean tone on the Orange channel was extremely weak and dark, almost like it had a blanket over it. As for the Vintage mode, I don't particularly remember it being any darker than most other Rectifiers. The Red Channel, by comparison, is loaded with gain and brightness. It really jumps out at you. Most people turn to the Orange Channel to do some soulful, vintage leads.

Speak with fluff191. I sold my Revision E to him a few years ago and maybe he can give more insight.

well, it definitely doesn't jsut sound like 'a dark channel' or anything, it's pretty muddy (like, pretty much unuseable).

I was thinking it may need a re-cap but was hoping someone might be able to confirm before I plonk down a bench fee/re-cap fee. I'm close to Petaluma so I can actually take it straight to Mesa, but will need to take a morning off work to go drop it off.

I found some sounds clips I made 3 years ago at a friend's house of my Rev E on the Orange Channel, clean and dirty. How can I get them to you? Each file is about 1.5-2MB. They were done with an ESP LTD guitar, SM57 (or was it a 58?), through a Mesa 4x12. All settings flat. The volume loud enough to make a difference (around 10:00-12:00).

Just saw this thread and thought I'd help. It could be a combination of the caps going and/or some LDRs.
Elpelotero, You can upload your clips to tonefinder (what I use the most) or dropbox, not to much hassle with those sites.

I'm curious as to what a Rev E sounds like, haven't found clips at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lw5e7k06o4ezxjg/wyn0qQkAr6

Let's hope this works for you...These are 3 clips, 2 of which are mine, and the other someone sent to me years ago. The clips belonging to me are of the Revision E on the Orange Channel, settings flat, through a Mesa 4x12 V30, sm57 and 58 mics, into a ProTools rig. One is the neck pickup, the other the bridge pickup. The physical guitar being used is what really brings down the audio quality. It's a cheap ESP Ltd with Duncan Designed pickups.

Anyways, it doesn't sound "dark" to me. For comparison the other clip someone sent to me and I distinctly remember him telling me it was the Orange Channel, although who knows what guitar he had.

Thanks for the clips, it sounds just like a Rev D to me.
I still think it could be a combo of the caps going bad and some LDR's, might need a full look over.

thanks for the clips. Mine sounds "muddier" than that, for lack of a better term. Interestingly, when I clone the orange channel to modern hi-gain it doesn't sound as bad.

Thanks for the info JC, but what are LDR's?

Thanks again all!

Give the Mesa factory a phone call and ask to speak with one of the more experienced techs (meaning someone who was around to see one of these old rectos). Mike Bendinelli is probably your best bet. He's very helpful, although it can be tough to get a hold of him sometimes. Have some patience, put in a few phone calls on Monday when they open, and you should hopefully be on your way soon enough.

Back