Retubing! Need assistance on tube placement.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jressell

Reaction score
Hey Mark V'ers,

I am changing out the preamp tubes on the Mark V and would like a little assistance in placing the tubes so I don't mess this up. I have a Soltek, Tung-Sol, Shuguang, 3x Penta Labs, and one JJ electronics.... PS. Bought the tone kit from Dougstubes. Here is a paste of that page:

- V1 Tungsol 12AX7
- V2 High Gain JJECC83
- V3 Penta 12AX7
- V4 Penta 12AX7
- V5 Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen
- V6 Sovtek LP/LPS

The question is.... where does third Penta Labs tube go? V5 and shift the other tubes down to 6 / 7 respectively?

Any help would be very appreciated.

jressell said:
The question is.... where does third Penta Labs tube go? V5 and shift the other tubes down to 6 / 7 respectively?

Doug likes the Tung Sols for input slots, the Sovtek LPS for the the phase inverter, and the JJ for the first big gain slot after the input. Given the tube layout of the Mark V, you've got to choose whether to put the JJ in V2 (to add gain and cut some treble on channel 2) or to V3 (to add gain and cut treble on channels 1 and 3, though with less dramatic an effect as on channel 2).

I would do this, if I were you:
V1: Tung Sol
V2: JJ
V3: Shuguang 12AX7 (Is it labelled Ruby 12ax7ac5 hg+?)
V4-6: Penta
V7: Sovtek LPS

I purchase this same cocktail from Doug and didn't like it, except for the JJ in V2. Some of the tubes died on me quickly, too, which was fine by me.

The Tung Sol and Shuguang sounded shrill, and the rest (except the JJ) had no discernible effect.

Hendog said:
eudaimonia02912 said:
The Tung Sol and Shuguang sounded shrill, and the rest (except the JJ) had no discernible effect.

What tubes do you like?

Good question. I loved Tung Sols in other amps, so I was surprised I dislike them so much in this amp. (In fact, I've tried them a few times a few weeks apart just to be sure, because I was so surprised.)

For power tubes, I like JJ EL34s and love SED EL34s.

For pre-amp tubes, so far I've preferred Mesa SPAX7s in V1 and V3, a high gain JJ in V2, and stock everywhere else. I have tried Penta Lab, Shuguangs, a Jan 5751 and 12AT7, JJ 803, regular JJ 83s (which I'm pretty sure are what Mesa uses now for its pre-amp tubes), Tung Sol reissues, and a NOS EI tube. None of these tubes were better than the stock tubes to my ears, though some were worse.

I have the combo, though, and I wonder if I would think differently if I were using an external cab.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Hendog said:
eudaimonia02912 said:

What tubes do you like?

Good question. I loved Tung Sols in other amps, so I was surprised I dislike them so much in this amp. (In fact, I've tried them a few times a few weeks apart just to be sure, because I was so surprised.)

For power tubes, I like JJ EL34s and love SED EL34s.

For pre-amp tubes, so far I've preferred Mesa SPAX7s in V1 and V3, a high gain JJ in V2, and stock everywhere else. I have tried Penta Lab, Shuguangs, a Jan 5751 and 12AT7, JJ 803, regular JJ 83s (which I'm pretty sure are what Mesa uses now for its pre-amp tubes), Tung Sol reissues, and a NOS EI tube. None of these tubes were better than the stock tubes to my ears, though some were worse.

I have the combo, though, and I wonder if I would think differently if I were using an external cab.

What difference did you hear with the SPAX7s? I mean, from what I understand/read, it is the same basic Mesa tube, but a higher quality or something like that? I have been kinda running down the same road as you on tubes. Tung Sol in V1 - meh, JJ high gain in V2, something there that I like. I just got a Mullard in to try in V1. I am trying to tame some harshness, but I am becoming convinced it is the v30s. I like their thump, but not the high end.

The SPAX7s cut down some of the noise. (I could turn my noise gate down afterwards.) They also sounded somewhat richer and more complex, even gainier, which I suspect results from there being less noise in the pre-amp.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Given the tube layout of the Mark V, you've got to choose whether to put the JJ in V2 (to add gain and cut some treble on channel 2) or to V3 (to add gain and cut treble on channels 1 and 3, though with less dramatic an effect as on channel 2).

I purchase this same cocktail from Doug and didn't like it, except for the JJ in V2. ... The Tung Sol and Shuguang sounded shrill,
ditto for me. his recommendations for the Mark IV have the JJ in the position that is equivalent to v3 on the Mark V. the JJ sounded better to me there, in v3. the Penta also sounded better to me in v2, a bit smoother.

the Tung-Sol RI in v1 made the amp really shrill. i get a rounder and thicker tone with a Mullard RI in v1.

Back