Rectifier footswitch extension cable?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenlbham

Reaction score
I'd like to get an RJM mini gizmo to control a DR amp from my MIDI-capable GT-8 board (having the gizmo & GT in my pedalboard box), but the RJM cable is only 10-ft. Is it possible to buy an extension cable for this purpose? Or even a female/female adapter to connect the gizmo cable to the regular Recto footswitch cable?

Thanks!
Benjamin

The easiest way to deal with this is to leave the amp switcher at the amp. Then, buy a longer MIDI cable.
If, you need the amp gizmo on the pedal board, you'd have to make a cable. IIRC, the Recto uses a standard 8 pin din connector, so you'd need to buy a male and female. Then find a cable thats long enough for you, that has 8 conductors, 22 AWG. Then wire connector straight thru, ie; pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. I wouldn't worry about sheilding since the cable doesn't carry any guitar signals, it just digital switching. However, the longer the cable, you may run into voltage drop problems, and the signals may not switch the amp properly. I won't even try longer then 50'.

If the RJM cable is just straight thru, you could just replace it and use the connectors. But I suspect that there's some wire crossing or something funky so you have buy a cable from them. Unless you can figure out what there doing inside the cable and replicate it, just use your new cable as an extension to the RJM cable.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I had considered putting the switcher at the amp, but thought it would be a lot more convenient to stick it in and power it from my pedalboard case. If I have it at the amp, I'll need to power it, and make sure it doesn't fall or anything... and I can't afford yet to get a fancy amp/rack flight case where I could affix the switcher and put a power conditioner in it.

Looking at the DR's footswitch connection and the mini gizmo cable end, it looks like it's the same as a 5-pin MIDI cable. Is it the same as MIDI? Could I get a MIDI extension cable to do just this?

tenlbham said:
Looking at the DR's footswitch connection and the mini gizmo cable end, it looks like it's the same as a 5-pin MIDI cable. Is it the same as MIDI? Could I get a MIDI extension cable to do just this?

No. Not the same as MIDI, although they do look cosmetically similar.

And I don't know about the 2010 Recto, but the older 3 Channel Rectos use a SEVEN pin DIN cable, not 8.

Hope that helps.

You might wanna ask RJM these questions.

Heres a quick find I found when looking to grab one of these while back.

Can I use the footswitch cable that came with my amp instead of the interface cable you sell?

Unfortunately, no. Our products are a general purpose switching solution, and the interface cables are needed to convert from our generic 8-pin connector to whichever connector and pin configuration your particular amp needs. Some of the more complicated cables even have some circuitry built into the cable - this circuitry is required to mimic the electronics that are built into the amp's footswitch.

It is their pin configuration rather than standard ones or the amp ones.

espboogie123 said:
You might wanna ask RJM these questions.

Heres a quick find I found when looking to grab one of these while back.

Can I use the footswitch cable that came with my amp instead of the interface cable you sell?

Unfortunately, no. Our products are a general purpose switching solution, and the interface cables are needed to convert from our generic 8-pin connector to whichever connector and pin configuration your particular amp needs. Some of the more complicated cables even have some circuitry built into the cable - this circuitry is required to mimic the electronics that are built into the amp's footswitch.

It is their pin configuration rather than standard ones or the amp ones.

If thats the case, then just make an extension cable. Whether 7 pin or 8 pin, look up din connectors on the interwebs. Buy a male and female and wire it straight thru. At that point your just extending the wires, so whatever voodoo RJM builds in to there cables will still be present at the DR end, thus enabling switching. I kind thought they would have to do something weird with there cables, Mesa's switching is a little hard to copy, plus it helps to sell extras with the amp switcher. :D I have worked on a cable for my Mark IV a little bit, and Mesa's switching very different. I also think I have an inaccurate schematic which doesn't help.

etepbbb said:
I also think I have an inaccurate schematic which doesn't help.

lol!! thanks ;)

Actually, I decided to get a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and will strap it to the amp and run a MIDI cable to it from the GT-8. Thanks for all the help though!! :D

[Actually, I decided to get a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and will strap it to the amp and run a MIDI cable to it from the GT-8. Thanks for all the help though!! :D[/quote]

I looked at both those units(RJM and Voodoo), and both seem like solid switchers.

Latest posts

Back