Rectifier effects loop and MXR delay pedals...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeleigh

Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed in a few posts recently that people are recommending analog delays through the parallel loop on a recto over the digital kind if you dont want to get your loop modded.

In the past I have used a Boss DD-3, G Major, GSP1101 and Pod X3 through the loop for my delay, but have always recieved that nasty hollow, phasing sound. So am I right I presuming that this shouldn't happen with say, an MXR Carbon Copy? Also, while on the topic of the MXR pedal, does anyone know how well this pedal works for modern hard rock and metal as the demos on the website are quite retro sounding. I really want to use it to sweeten up the clean sound and even more so, my lead sound.

Thanks!

If the DD3 made a bad sound as well, it may have been a level matching issue - the DD3 is actually an analog delay with only a digital delay line, if that makes sense... no part of the circuit (not even the feedback loop) is digital other than the delay repeat itself, so it does not cause the latency problem. This also applies to the DD5 (which has a digital feedback loop, but still analog dry signal), and I think the DD6 - it's only when the dry part of the signal is digitized that you get the problem.

The MXR will be OK from a latency point of view, but it could still have a level or phase issue, so it isn't a certainty it will work - my old MXR Phase 90 had both problems (and not because it's a Phaser! Because the dry part is reversed-phase), although of course it's a much older and different pedal from the Carbon Copy.

94Tremoverb said:
If the DD3 made a bad sound as well, it may have been a level matching issue - the DD3 is actually an analog delay with only a digital delay line, if that makes sense... no part of the circuit (not even the feedback loop) is digital other than the delay repeat itself, so it does not cause the latency problem. This also applies to the DD5 (which has a digital feedback loop, but still analog dry signal), and I think the DD6 - it's only when the dry part of the signal is digitized that you get the problem.

The MXR will be OK from a latency point of view, but it could still have a level or phase issue, so it isn't a certainty it will work - my old MXR Phase 90 had both problems (and not because it's a Phaser! Because the dry part is reversed-phase), although of course it's a much older and different pedal from the Carbon Copy.

Yep, great information there. Thank you very much, tried the DD-3 again and it sounds great through the loop! Much better than the digital alternatives. Looks like you have definitely saved me from having to mod my loop!

Thanks

Ive been using a carbon copy for about 6 months now and always have it on in my effects loop clean or dirty. It sounds great! Warm sounding for leads and not too muddy for my rhythm playing great bang for buck!

That's way too much of a generalisation. Some digital effects sound really bad, but others sound good. There's a world of difference between (say) a Boss DD2 and a Line6. A good digital can sound just as good as an analog, and can do things that analog can't. I have both, and I just use them for different reasons - the analog because I love its grainy tone and cool self-oscillation, and the digital because I like its clarity and longer delay time. You just need to be aware of the limitations of each type, and that there's more than one way to do digital, some of which cause more trouble than others.

Latest posts

Back