Recommend me a 7 string!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

My band is looking to write our next set of songs with some 7 string stuff going on, so I'm out to grab a new 7 stringer.

I've owned two seven strings before...first was a Schecter C-7 Blackjack, followed by a Schecter Loomis. I REALLY don't want to go down the schecter route again...never really bonded with their guitars. The blackjack didn't do it for me AT ALL, and the Loomis, while great, had EMGs, which are a no for me, and the neck wasn't quite there.

I play a Boogie Roadster, boosted with a Maxon OD808.

So, here's what I need
-Passive pickups
-NOT a Schecter
-No need for a trem, but it can be blocked if that's the only way the guitar comes.

So, what would you guys recommend? My 6 strings are PRS Singlecuts, and I'd like the guitar to hold with them in quality. Don't need to spend a fortune on it, but I want it to be a good guitar.

So, Ibanez? Agile? Carvin? Another option is the EBMM Petrucci if you guys would say it's worth it.

If you recommend something that could use a pickup swap, please let me know what you'd drop in there! (No Lundgren, or Bareknuckles...little to dear for a pickup for me).

Thanks much guys!

Eric

I recommend the Ibanez RG7321/RG7321FM. Same guitar, only one is black and the new one has a redish flamed maple top with matching headstock, string through body. Also, the Ibanez RG1527/1527FM. Blueish finish with rosewood fretboard and edge pro 7 trem. The latter is the same guitar only in galaxy white finish with a maple fretboard. Lastly, the Ibanez S7320. Black finish, rosewood fretboard, ZR-7 trem. I know you prefer a fixed bridge, but the ZR trem can switch between full floating or not. All are great guitars. I've owned the Black 7321, and have played the other 3. You just can't go wrong with Ibanez.

A +1 on that....
Our new guitar player/singer in our band plays the Ibanez UV777. It's the top o' the line black one with the pyramid inlay below the bridge and fancy abalone binding. It ain't cheap ($2k) but it's really nice and he's happy with it.
Great sound, playability. It does come with an edge (floyd type) bridge, however.

Ibanez does seem to be on the cutting edge of 7 strings, IMO. 8)

The Carvin is well made, but I never cared for their pickups. Could be good bang for the buck, though and you can always change p/u's!

Good luck! :)

Put me down for the JP7. Easiest/Best bridge in the world, and you CAN'T get it on any other guitar. Takes like, at most, 15 minutes to put a full set of strings on it and tune up.

You can find a base-model JP7 for somewhere around the range of 11-1200 if you look hard enough. Universes are certainly very nice guitars, and my second choice for a 7, though.

Find what fits you best.

Alot depends on what neck shape you like.
the Ibanez necks are very thin and flat.
I'd steer clear of the 7321 , that's the bottom of the barrel from Ibanez.
A used 7620 is the best bang for the buck. I've owned several (currently have one that I love). An older Universe is always a good bet. the only problem with Ibbys is that they are almost all Basswood. the stock pickups sound horrible with basswood.
I've got BareKnuckles in both of my current 7's (huge improvement)
The JP7 is a beautiful guitar, but again a very thin neck, and they are pricey. If you can spend the money and you like thin necks , I'd go that route. (again Basswood), but very nice guitars.
My favorite 7's that are not custom shop are the Carvins.
I have a DC727 that is all mahogany with a maple top and a maple fret board that just kills.
the stock pickups do suck (BK's in mine) and I swapped the Licensed trem with an OFR and it's just an awesome playing and sounding guitar now.
The necks on the Carvin 7's fall right in between the Ibbys and the Schecters, extremely confortable to play. You can usually find on used fro under a $1,000.00, or you can order one exactly how you like it for a bit more.
If money is no object I'd get a Bernie Rico Jr. (which I plan to)
the necks play like butter, and the construction is really top notch.
I've owned a bunch of 7's over the past few years, and the Carvin is the only one that I
would hate to ever have to part with.

Latest posts

Back