recommend a good overdrive pedal for my 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musician18

Reaction score
I have tried the fulltone fulldrive, boss blues driver, and xotic bb preamp with no luck. I am looking at the maxon and barber pedals. I am looking for a light overdrive sound to add to my clean channel for rhythm and lead sounds.

My 2 favorites are the Digitech Bad Monkey and Boss DS-1. Don't overlook them cause they're cheaper than others, they are built very well, sound great, and are very quiet. I prefer the DS-1 but sometimes the I'm just in the mood for the monkey!!

Edit: I use them both more as clean boosts, but occasionally will turn the gain on a hair.

I have 3 that I would recommend.

1. Maxon OD808 - it is basically a small box reissue of the old Ibanez TS 808.

2. Homebrew Electronics Powerscreamer - Amazing 3 mode tubeescreamer. It goes all the way from a TS 808 clone (a clone that matches the original in every way IMO) through 2 punchier settings. VERY transparent. This would be mmy suggestion to you.

3. MXR Wylde Overdrive - THough Zakk is known as a gain maniac this pedal is a fantastic boost that isnt gainy at all and doesnt really color the tone of your guitar or amp.

I have tried so many OD pedals on my F-50 (similar to the 5:50). The best one I've used is the Barber Direct Drive. Great Marshall-esque tones. Check it out at http://www.barberelectronics.com/directdrive.htm. The Gear Page has them for sale quite often in the Pedal Emporium page.

I also agree that the Bad Monkey is a great pedal. OD's currently on my board: Barber DD, Barber Silver LTD, Little Big Muff and the MI Audio Boost N' Buff for solos and buffering.

Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic - 2 channels, and the tone is so beautiful! More classic rock than modern tones, but great anyhow!

Cheers,

Richt :D

Latest posts

Back