Recommend a delay that does not suck tone out of my mark v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Btw, I thought the memory man was anoalog. I also thought that would be a sweet delay to use with the V, maybe not.

I believe others in the whole Memory Man series are analog but the SMMH isn't.
It's a pretty good delay, highly versatile and does a lot that most normal delays
don't. Fortunately, I don't have issues running it with the V but I've read that
some units have had volume drops not only with the V, but with other amps as well.

Another vote for the Hardwire DL8, great pedal! Works awesome!!, Best delay pedal I have owned!, I use mine in front.

Nova Repeater, same and the Nova Delay without the bells and whistles. About 125.

Boomerang E-155 chorus delay, it's everything you'll ever need in that format and more.

Excellent thread, was just going to ask the same thing! The delays I have tried more or less all sound decent to good on CH 1 & 2 but CH 3 with a fair amount of gain is where I am having issues. My tone on CH 3 generally feels flatter and muddier with a delay involved. Today I traded the last one in for the MXR CC and so far it is not bad (at least compared to what I have had) but still muddies up CH 3 a bit. I think it sounds excellent on CH1 & 2 and pretty good on CH3.

Sub $200 is my price range, does anyone have a better idea then the CC for a transparent delay?

I reccomend the TC Electronic Nova Delay or the Eventide Time Factor. I've currently been using the TC over the Evetide because of the size. TC Electronic unit is really a great deal for the money. Any tones from tape to analog to digital, 9 programable presets, 1 manual preset (so thats 10 total) various mod settings and depth for the mod to apply to any delay you wish. standard delay line, dynamic, reverse, ping pong, slap, subdivisions switch, tap tempo....its pretty much a no brainer. All in a box smaller than a boss DD-20 Giga Delay. I use a Carbon Copy also but the dark tone is just the nature of the unit. It's an analog delay based on Bucket Brigade chip technology. Look up any other delay that has the same technology and the tones are really similar if not identical. (malleko delay pedals, maxon delays, vintage boss DM-2....just to name a few). the tc will do anlog but with a nice clarity to it. Thats wheremine is set most often.

RoadKinger483 said:
I reccomend the TC Electronic Nova Delay or the Eventide Time Factor. I've currently been using the TC over the Evetide because of the size. TC Electronic unit is really a great deal for the money. Any tones from tape to analog to digital, 9 programable presets, 1 manual preset (so thats 10 total) various mod settings and depth for the mod to apply to any delay you wish. standard delay line, dynamic, reverse, ping pong, slap, subdivisions switch, tap tempo....its pretty much a no brainer. All in a box smaller than a boss DD-20 Giga Delay. I use a Carbon Copy also but the dark tone is just the nature of the unit. It's an analog delay based on Bucket Brigade chip technology. Look up any other delay that has the same technology and the tones are really similar if not identical. (malleko delay pedals, maxon delays, vintage boss DM-2....just to name a few). the tc will do anlog but with a nice clarity to it. Thats wheremine is set most often.

Sounds like the Nova Delay would be the direct competitor to the Boomerang. The Boomer has 11 programable presets, it does clean, tape, and reverse along with chorus. The chorus also has 11 programable presets, and 3 modes classic, shimmer and lush.

The quote on this page is interesting.

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E-155.html

i use a Yamaha DG stomp, through the FX loop of my mark2b.

it has an input, and output....

i match the output, with the straight signal (without loop) by pulling the send/return cables, and a/b'ing the volume.

then i boost the output slightly, so what's coming out of the SEND in the loop, is hotter on the RETURN.

hope that makes sense.

i use the TAPE DELAY setting on the Stomp.

if you don't have the money for tc nova delay, then get a tc nova repeater, it's also great delay for the money. I'm using eventide time factor

The major problem is the serial loop of the Mark V. You want a parallel loop and and a delay that can kill the dry signal, e.g., like the nova repeater. To make serial loop parallel you may use one of these (Minimix II)

http://www.suhrguitars.com/tonetools.aspx

I do hear, however, that the Strymon El Capistan works well in a serial loop. I realize that my suggested solutions are not low budget ones, but I think they are the best way(s) to go...

Now that I've had the CC for a few days I am really liking it. Sounds amazing on cleans and anything low gain. It does color my tone a hair but in a good way. It really only adds a bit of warmth and I love it. For high gain applications I don't care for it as much when chugging out power chords and such but then again I don't use delay is that situation anyway. For high gain soloing using the neck pup the CC sounds incredible.

After a few days with the CC now I can confidently say that in the sub $200 price range it is the best on the market - I've tried most of them. It is fairly transparent except that it warms things up a touch - and to my ears that's a good thing :)

Eventide Timefactor. best delay pedal ever. i also have a line 6 DL4 that i use in my B rig. for a product with a line 6 logo on it, its not bad.

Resurrecting on old post, but wanted to add some thoughts...

1. Compared to a Dual Rec, I find the Mark V loop very transparent with almost imperceptible tone loss before adding pedals. In other words, I find the Mark V loop to be a great improvement compared to what I have been used to in the past.

2. I use a TC Nova Delay and, again, find almost imperceptible tone loss/colouration when bypassed (not true bypass). I think it is a great pedal - especially once you work out how to use the presets and recall them via the footswitches!

3. For a lower cost alternative, the TC Flashback came out since this thread started (I think), is a good price, and gets rave reviews...

I switched from the Nova Repeater to the Flashback. True Bypass and works great in the loop. The analog signal is passed through and the FX Level control adds in the
amount of effect. Each one of the settings is very usable. I like the 2290 setting for the clean repeats. Also check out the Hall of Fame Reverb.
Great pedals and they don't take up a lot of room.

DaveP said:
I switched from the Nova Repeater to the Flashback. True Bypass and works great in the loop. The analog signal is passed through and the FX Level control adds in the
amount of effect. Each one of the settings is very usable. I like the 2290 setting for the clean repeats. Also check out the Hall of Fame Reverb.
Great pedals and they don't take up a lot of room.

+1 on the Flashback.
First Delay pedal I've owned. I have it in the effects loop of my LSC. LOVE the Slapback Mode.

Swen

Use a good quality multi FX unit that has volume and EQ. I use a cheap Digitech 100 just for delay and a touch of comp. and have the thing ALMOST transparant in the loop. I think the biggest problem most guy's have is not being able to adjust the tone (treble/bass) hence the tone suck. The nice thing about the V and some other Mesa amps, is the feature of being able to turn OFF the loop via the footswitch.

Just got a Timefactor and it is SWEET. I really like the looper function in it as well.

BTW, tone suck is very often an impedance mismatch. A good buffer in between the tone-sucking pedal and the guitar or FX send can cure most of it. Input impedance > 1Meg and output impedance < 1k will do the trick for most situations. Digital effects are generally low input impedance to keep the noise down, which creates a filter when driven by a high source impedance.

Latest posts

Back