REALLY noob tube question (plus Mk III 12AX7 comments)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewtone

Reaction score
Guys -

I'm really starting to noodle around with preamp tube combo's in my Mark III simulclass (IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, PEOPLE!!!!).

Anyhoo, I'm starting to accumulate some spares and want to keep notes.

Will it be harmfull to the tube itself if I mark the bottle with a Sharpie??? I don't think the pre's get as hot as the power tubes?

PS... for those keeping score at home, I've been mixing and matching (note, although most of you know, this amp is LOUD... first sweet spot on this one to my ears is with master at 1.4-1.5, which is plenty loud... volume/lead gain both at 6.5):

- mesa 'russian 2' 12AX7s -- had these for a couple of years, sound great, tried in v1, v2, v5-pi
- new mesa 'JJ' 12AX7 (the guy held this next to a JJ and it looks identical) -- this one, I'm having some difficulty with... first one was DOA, this one seems to be causing some noise in channel 3, like a reverb-type feedback after you stop the note... will keep working with this to see if it's the tube or combination thereof.
- mesa SP12ax7 (not sure who the actual manufacturer is) -- this is in V3 (final gain stage, I think) and seems good, and has definitely tamed the noise of the lead channel.
- GrooveTube 5751 mullard reissue -- tried in V1 and PI, and the amp really liked it in both places... gave some warmth to the clean, really seemed to smooth the distortion (maybe too much de-raunching???)... if I go with the OCD pedal for distortion, I may have to go with these, or if I start screwing around with the power tubes. Heard that these will be hard to come by, now that Fender has bought GT.
- EH12AT7 -- got this for the reverb, as I hadn't changed it in forever. Tried it for fun in V1. Clean sounded OK, but pulled the lead pot and screeching feedback (hope I didn't kill the tube). Is this something I did wrong (maybe with higher gain tubes in V2/V3?) or is a 12AT7 just a no-no in this amp up front??? It's in the v4 (reverb) now, but I wonder if some of the lead channel reverb/hum feedback in lead channel (mentioned above) is being caused by this (reverb currently set to 2, though I don't think it's ever out of the circuit).

Also, have a Tung Sol 12AX7 not gold pin on order, and I'm itching to try that in V1 or V3, just to see.

Now when I really want to become unproductive in my regular life, I will start 'fixing' the power tubes (already thinking a pair of Tung Sol EL34's on the ends with Winged C 6L6's in the middle)... Thanks to my fellow board members for making me even more obsessive on my amp :lol: :lol: :lol:

Update:

Tung Sol 12AX7 wins in V1-V3... liked it better than the JJ/Sovtek/SP Boogie tubes.

Have the EH 12AT7 in reverb and Groove Tube Gold 5751 in the PI slot.

Great balance of warm clean and rich distortion.

Now on to the power section...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Strange, cause you usually run the SPAX7 in the V1 position...

True, I had it in v1 and then switched it to v3 as a goof. Stayed there until the tung sol came. May try it there again on a lark... this tube stuff is bringing out my OCD and not in the Fulltone sense either :lol:

Back