Re-tubed my Mini Rectifier, more useable now

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robberns

Reaction score
Just got around to doing some tube-swapping in my Mini, made some interesting observations.
I'm just one of those guys who will swap out new production tubes for NOS just because. I like old glass.
So first was replacing the EL84's with NOS GE EL84's.
Then, I really wanted to get the best clean tone from Channel 1, while taming Channel 2 a bit. I am a classic rock guy (geezer) and the Mini had way more gain on Channel 2 than I would ever use.
So I got out my collection of pre-amp tubes and the list of gain factors for various tubes. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, there are a number of tubes you can run where 12AX7's are used. Some have less gain and can be used to clean up or tighten amps that drive the tubes harder. Also keep in mind that 12AX7 tubes are actually 2-tubes in one. So in the Mini Rec,. if you check the tube chart, you'll see that each pre-amp tube serves multiple purposes.
I put a NOS JAN GE 5751 in V1 with the intention of keeping my clean tone as clean as possible. V1 handles the input stage for Ch1 and Ch2, as well as the 3rd gain stage for Ch1. Sounds great. Wasn't horrible before, but is better now.
Then I worked on the Channel 2 gain issue. I would never run the Gain over 10:00, just got too messy for me.
So I put a 5751 in V2 (2nd gain stage Ch1 and Ch2, and 3rd gain stage Ch2). Didn't really make a big difference.
So I moved down the list to a lower gain tube than the 5751, a 12AT7. I had a nice NOS Mullard in my stash. Bingo! Lowered the gain on Ch2 so now I get more of a classic "Marshally" crunch when running the gain control at around 11:00.
The moral of the story (if there needs to be a moral) is play around with tubes and have fun.

That's cool. Just curious as to where you run the master? Like you, I found that ch2 had way more gain on tap than I would ever use, and I found the way to tame it was to use more power section; ie, low gain/high master vol. I'm only really concerned about gig level tone anyway, so I found that I liked the "vintage" setting with the gain around 8-9 o'clock and the master around 1-2 o'clock.

Lately, I've found that the best tone I get from my Mini is on the "clean" setting with the gain and master just dimed, maybe backed off just a hair from dimed. I just ride the guitar volume to clean it up; I don't mind a little hair on my cleans, and the amp is very touch sensitive when set up that way. If I do use the "vintage" setting on ch 2, I dime the master and put the gain at about 7-8 o'clock. I know that's loud for home use, but I've found that with the band (I'm in a trio) pushing the ELs hard is the way to go. I find it to be very Mark I-ish.

I may try replacing the tubes. The way I push the amp, that might be soon. :lol:

noodles said:
I'm sure it sounds awesome, since you just doubled the volume of the amp! :lol:
There's more to it than that, though. It feels and responds differently when it's run that way. The guitar responds differently also, as there is (I believe) some kind of "acoustic coupling" that takes place between the amp and guitar that never happens at low volumes. That is where things start to morph into a totally different guitar animal.

EVERY guitar player should experience that feeling and that response at least once. There is NOTHING like it.

Latest posts

Back