Rare 1981 "Boogie logo" 4x12 eminence MS12 metal grill

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vigo1999 said:
gts said:
Vigo1999 said:
wondering if one of you guys have the dimensions for the 2x12 (both versions) and 4x12 metal grill cabs??

thanks in advance :D

Both versions of a metal grille 2x12?
To the best of my knowledge there was only one.
Unless you are talking about the modern 2x12 with the cloth covered grille?

Hey G.!

actually i never knew also in my 25 years or so as mesa user, but a few months back i read that in this thread and keeps me thinking . . .

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63285&p=439388&hilit=metal+grill#p439388

the one at the right (pic on last post) clearly looks bigger or my eyes are fooling me??

I'm pretty sure they are the same size.
I've owned three 2x12's and to the best of my knowledge they were all the same size.

The one on the right In that thread might look bigger because it has 3" (maybe 4") casters/wheels whereas the one on the left is only using 2" casters/ wheels.

Here's the pic from the thread.
If you count the number of full "diamond" shapes on the grille going left to right you'll see there are 7 in each cab.
Not an absolutely scientific approach but reasonably accurate ;-)

amps2013.jpg

And here's the pair in the pic sprocket linked to:
In this pic I think one looks slightly taller due it having rubber feet and the other not having any.
PC211254.jpg

Thanks George,

i think that the only real change was the inclusion of those little pieces that hold the baffle on the corners . .

but well, im pretty sure you know what to do when it's the time to build one :wink: one of these days man, one of these days . . . 8)

Well I owe all a big Mea Culpa here!!

After all the above I started to have a vague memory that someone once told me they had 2x12's that were different widths.
So I did some digging, found him, and asked him to do some measurements.
Guess what?!!
There are some old school metal grille 2x12 halfbacks with different widths!!
(I'm not sure if there is a height difference).

The inside measurements (between the sidewalls/ aka the width of the baffle) are 20-5/8" and 21-3/8" respectively.
Basically one is 3/4" wider than the other.

Pretty sure these were very early 2x12's as they have a flat metal grille with plastic edge/ strip protectors on the grille.
The metal grille has the same diamond shape as those with edges that are bent in toward the baffle.

Can this be true for the metal grill 4X12 also ! It might be measurement screwed ups down the line , we never know .

sprocket said:
Can this be true for the metal grill 4X12 also ! It might be measurement screwed ups down the line , we never know .
I'll look into this with regard to 4x12's.
There might be slight size difference between early 4x12 metal grille halfbacks and later 4x12 metal grille halfbacks

As relates to the 2x12's
I doubt they are /were measurement "screw ups". More likely a change in design.
What the reasoning was behind the change in design could be anybody's guess.
It could have been something as simple as the need/ desire to get more cabs out of a sheet of plywood.
Or something more technical related to cab design.
Whatever the reason there's only a 3/4" difference in width.
Hard to say what sort of impact this would have on the sound/ tone coming from the cab.

I believe the early 4x12's straights are deeper than the later. I have and early straight 4x12 and later slant. The bottom half of slant is 2 1/2 inches less deep than the straight.

gts said:
sprocket said:
I'll look into this with regard to 4x12's.
There might be slight size difference between early 4x12 metal grille halfbacks and later 4x12 metal grille halfbacks

As relates to the 2x12's
I doubt they are /were measurement "screw ups". More likely a change in design.
What the reasoning was behind the change in design could be anybody's guess.
It could have been something as simple as the need/ desire to get more cabs out of a sheet of plywood.
Or something more technical related to cab design.
Whatever the reason there's only a 3/4" difference in width.
Hard to say what sort of impact this would have on the sound/ tone coming from the cab.

Thanx , as stated , it might be design changes on both the 2X12s & the 4X12s with years going on . It would be interesting to know if it was due to tesets being done by the design team or the users .

halebox said:
I believe the early 4x12's straights are deeper than the later. I have and early straight 4x12 and later slant. The bottom half of slant is 2 1/2 inches less deep than the straight.
The "straight" cabs were called "bottom cabs" and often used for a 4x12 stack.
It would make sense that the bottom cabs would be deeper so as to allow for the upper 4x12 sitting on top and be stable.

Back