Rack obstructing fan ventilation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSL

Reaction score
For example, the 50/50 has a fan on the side of it. If I were to put it into a rack, the fan wouldn't have any room to breathe since the rack would cover the side of it. Is this bad for rack gear?

There is some space between a 19" unit and the rack side. At least the size of the mounting brackets.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm a little concerned though since it's not THAT much space. I'm thinking of getting a completely ventilated rack, but for studio use.

Plenty of people have power amps in proper guitar racks that cover the entire amp, and they've not had much of a problem, so I'd probably be ok anyway now that I think about it.

I've used my 50/50 10 years in a full 4 spaces rack, with 1 inch space between the fan and the rack side, without any problems.

Mesa designed this unit to be in a rack. Rack specifications actually do have standard tolerances about such things as rail location, space between the sides and the rails, etc. Although a fan on the side may seem counter-intuitive, it is by design. On top of that, I have never heard of an overheating problem with a 50/50 in a rack, and some guys really load their racks! It will be fine and give you years of good service in the rack.

No worries, but if cooling air is a must there are a fair amount of companies making rackmount fans or you could build your own. You could even run a 3" hole saw through the side of the rack in the same location as the fan and put a grill cover over it. A bit extreme but if it puts your mind at ease over concerns of smoking the amp.

RectoStudioGuy is right, there are no rules against adding more air movement! Raxxess makes some interesting rack accessories and other gear. Here is one option. I bought their single unit to make a nice rear panel for my Mesa rack, which I modified to handle my quick-setup plugs.

back1.jpg

Tripoutski said:
RectoStudioGuy is right, there are no rules against adding more air movement! Raxxess makes some interesting rack accessories and other gear. Here is one option. I bought their single unit to make a nice rear panel for my Mesa rack, which I modified to handle my quick-setup plugs.

back1.jpg
Interesting set-up, but don't you need an exhaust portal for the air you're pushing in?

RectoStudioGuy said:
Interesting set-up, but don't you need an exhaust portal for the air you're pushing in?

Actually this is pulling out. I simply turned the fan around for my application. My Formula and 20/20 pull from the front and push to the back. All fresh air comes in through the front of the rack, all exhaust goes out through this fan in the back. It is really not much different than without this panel, I simply wanted to close the back part of my rack off because cables and tubes were getting disturbed too much. I do get pretty good air movement through the thing.

Latest posts

Back