Questions about my new LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bottomdweller

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a Lonestar Special and really love it. However, I've never really messed with an amp with cascading gain before. I'm having trouble finding a 'brown' sound. I know that's not really what the amp is designed for, but can anyone recommend some settings to me, or given me a few ideas? I love the tones with my Strat and the clean sound is just unbelievable.

I dont know what you mean by brown,but my fav overdriven tones are reach without the drive switch on.Another thing is eq saturate your tone as gain,so less gain with lots of eq is sometimes better than lots of gain.You can try to plug your speaker in the 35watt exit for more dirt too.Dont know if it will help but congratulation with you purchase,class A amp dont react like class B or A-B so maybe you will not find the Holy grail today.Sometimes what is sweet to your ears will not be the same in a mic and vice-versa.Good luck.

By 'brown' I mean the early Van Halen sound, which is not all that high gain really. I think I'll get pretty close-this is my first Mesa besides a Subway Blues I had a few years ago. Maybe a Rectoverb would be better for what I'm looking for?

Brown sound-ish can be achieved with use of an OD on channel 2... Thickest Drive, Drive at noon, Gain at 2:00, Treble at 2:00, Mid at noon, Bass at 10:00, Presence at 11:00...

... but it's just an approximation. Not really the amp for the brown sound. Although with the aforementioned OD pedal and a phaser, you can come scarily close.

YMMV.

BD,

What works for me is a Lone Star Classic, I set the Ch. 2 50/100 power switch to "50", and set the Variac switch to "Tweed", which reduces the AC voltage to the amp a la a Variac like EVH used.

But I can come close with the Nomad 55 too, which does not have a Variac switch. The Nomad just does it, I don't have to search for the setting.

I've not spent much time with the LSS, but I'll bet if you turn your pick sideways when you pluck the string, you will get something of a brown sound.

-Gary K

Latest posts

Back