question for ED owners and it's available gain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
guys I have been looking for a while at getting an ED. I have listened to tons of sound clips on the internet and got to play one in nashville that sounded great. but here's the thing, i only got a few minutes on it in nashville with the saleman controlling the knowbs while i played....it sounded great but when it sounded it's best it was louder than hell.

then i got to mess with one in louisville a few weeks ago and kept the volume much lower and similar to a volume you would use at home but I found it very difficult to coax any dirt out of the amp.

i flipped it over on vinage hi (the redlight was on).....i tried various combinations of turning the volume up high and the master low and when that didnt work as I expected I tried to keep the volume low and turn up the master which only made the already clean sound much louder!!! LOL.

this amp seems simple enough to use but i was at a bit of a loss....any ideas of what was going on??? did i do something wrong or was their perhaps an amp issue?

Any doubts about gain mate check out this demo of my old mate Fred The Shred, hes playing all these licks with my electra Dyne (You see it in the later stages) we did have a very mild overdrive in front boosting it but the gain was only about 2 o'clock on the red channel so it was more to punch the mids through.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3BQ0RV6nU&playnext=1&videos=pGgvsLEF838

Did you check where the gain trim switch was set on the back? There's an option to cut the gain on the lo/hi settings or on the clean channel. If it was set to lo/hi, you'd probably have a lot of trouble getting a high gain sound on the ED. Should be plenty of gain on tap as long as you're not looking for Steve Vai endless sustaining leads.

I did this one with my daughter sleeping two rooms over. Definitely bedroom volume. No boost. Patch-chord and guitar, that is it.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=5026

Make sure the gain trim on the back is NOT set to hi/lo. The amps gain is neutered if you have it set to hi/lo.

Remember the Volume Knob is actually a gain knob.

I probably did have the volume(gain) knob close to pegged, but had the master way down to the point you could probably hear the tv over it.

tubby_cosmos said:
Did you check where the gain trim switch was set on the back? There's an option to cut the gain on the lo/hi settings or on the clean channel. If it was set to lo/hi, you'd probably have a lot of trouble getting a high gain sound on the ED. Should be plenty of gain on tap as long as you're not looking for Steve Vai endless sustaining leads.

no i didnt check that and that was probably the issue for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masque said:
guys I have been looking for a while at getting an ED. I have listened to tons of sound clips on the internet and got to play one in nashville that sounded great. but here's the thing, i only got a few minutes on it in nashville with the saleman controlling the knowbs while i played....it sounded great but when it sounded it's best it was louder than hell.

Did you go to World Music in Nashville? That's where I bought my ED and those guys were awesome. If not, go there next time you're in Nashville.

flyboy70 said:
masque said:

Did you go to World Music in Nashville? That's where I bought my ED and those guys were awesome. If not, go there next time you're in Nashville.

yes those guys are great! my in-laws live in Nashville....so everytime I'm down there I try to get out to World Music Nashville.

Latest posts

Back