Question about tube break in period

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
First, is there such a procedure, break in, when replacing old with new 6L6 power tubes? What about the preamp section?

I heard somewhere in passing that it was wise to break in the tubes, but I don't know if that is lure or wise. Any help with this process from someone who knows tubes would be a big help.

they call that tube burn-in. some tube shops will give you that option maybe a dollar or two more than the regular price. basically they let the tubes warm up for several hours up to 48 hours before shipping it to you just to weed out bad tubes. i've done it before but i'm not worried about it anymore since most are warranted by the store itself.

Or just turn your volume down for set breaks and let them stay at running tempature...

That's what standby does - it leaves the *heaters* on, thus maintaining "operating temperature", while removing the high voltage that causes much of the wear and tear.
That being said, if you store your amp in a freezing cold garage or back of a truck, it may help the amp warm up by leaving it on for a break or two. The tone warms up, too.
The fastest way to ruin tubes is to treat your amp like a basketball, instead of a box full of light bulbs. :D

MrMarkIII said:
That's what standby does - it leaves the *heaters* on, thus maintaining "operating temperature", while removing the high voltage that causes much of the wear and tear.
That being said, if you store your amp in a freezing cold garage or back of a truck, it may help the amp warm up by leaving it on for a break or two. The tone warms up, too.
The fastest way to ruin tubes is to treat your amp like a basketball, instead of a box full of light bulbs. :D
I was told by my tech that standby reduces the heat on the tubes and the only way to keep the heat all the way up was to no use the standby on set changes and just dial the master volume down. Not sure if its that way with all amps BUT I can see the tube glow reduce when I put it on standby... I'd love to hear the technicals on this!

Regarding the OP: Break in for 6l6 tubes and preamp tubes...

First, the 6l6's...I have never come into contact with any tube maker saying in their literature any specific instructions for breaking in 6l6's. Once, a while back when purchasing a pair of JJ e34l's I was cautioned in their literature that since these tubes came with a bit of gas left inside (what is known as a soft vacuum) they were not to be biased at high idle current settings initially. To do so would shorten their useful life. A few hours would more than suffice to meet that. Mesa amps running the larger power tubes tend to have them biased at low (cold bias) idle currents, so no biggie.

I'm not aware of any break in procedure for pre's. What I do know from experience is that a brand new preamp tube has increased high frequency response compared to the same tube after it has run a couple hundred hours in circuit. That is why I prefer to not use NOS preamp tubes in my amps, I like the tones of slightly used to moderately used VOS tubes. The price is much better for used tubes as well.

212Mavguy said:
I'm not aware of any break in procedure for pre's. What I do know from experience is that a brand new preamp tube has increased high frequency response compared to the same tube after it has run a couple hundred hours in circuit. That is why I prefer to not use NOS preamp tubes in my amps, I like the tones of slightly used to moderately used VOS tubes. The price is much better for used tubes as well.

Thanks for the information, could you pm me with a source for finding these vos tubes. I am not too keen on ebay as a source, as you don't know who your dealing with.

Don't worry about tube break in. Just plug in and play. The standby keeps the tube filaments warm and it prepares them for a large burst of current that is produced when standby is off. The tubes do get warmer with standby off as current is passed through.

espboogie123 said:
Don't worry about tube break in. Just plug in and play. The standby keeps the tube filaments warm and it prepares them for a large burst of current that is produced when standby is off. The tubes do get warmer with standby off as current is passed through.

Exactly, just put in new tubes, let them warm up on standby. Then play them on low volume for about 15 minutes and after that you can play at full volume.
There is a lot of folklore about tubes, but if they are new and not faulty, and as long as you don't handle them while there red-hot, you'll be fine.

best,
Roger Axetrample
http://www.guitarhow.com/

Latest posts

Back