QUESTION ABOUT MESA STUDIO PREAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I have a friend who is selling a sudio preamp and while I was looking up details on the web for it I found this wiki on it. Is what it says about the studio preamp true or this this just a rumor. I will include what it says along with the source:

Studio Preamp

In the late 80's Mesa Boogie introduced the 2 space rack mounted Studio Preamp as a tool for direct recording of electric guitar. The preamp was originally marketed as being based off the Mark IIC design but there is evidence that it is closer to a IIC+ in its circuitry and tone than a IIC. Most notably its gain levels are more similar to that of a IIC+. In any event the controls of the Studio Preamp are similar to the IIC/C+ design. There are two channels, Rhythm and Lead that share a Volume, Bass, Mid, and Treble tone shaping control. The Lead Channel has a Drive and Master Volume control. The Studio Preamp also utilizes the Mark II era EQ and a few other switches to further shape the tone. Other features include an effects loop and reverb.

The sales life of the Studio Preamp did not last long probably to make way for their flagship preamp, the Triaxis. But, as rumor would have it among Mesa fanatics, the real reason Mesa discontinued the Studio Preamp was that it was such a great sounding and popular preamp it stole sales from their regular amp line and was bad for business. There are those who claim the Studio Pre was the best sounding preamp section of any amp Mesa Boogie ever made. Of course this is subjective. The most recognized users of the Studio Pre were Pete Townsend of The Who and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

and the source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie#Studio_Preamp

If anybody else has any information on the history on this amp and how good it is in your opinion, please feel free to share. Thanks!!!

Well, the first paragraph is the exact description of what the Studio Pre is... the second, you know, is obviously the thought of some Mesa fanatics (just like us actually!). That said, the Studio Pre is actually a great sounding preamp and surely can be one of the very best Mesa Boogie products for some people, as always it's a matter of tastes. I own one and I'm very happy... just one thing:

"[...] Studio Preamp as a tool for direct recording [...]"

I disagree with that statement, or however I must say Smith, Bendinelli & Company weren't able to really make the direct outs shine. Much better the standard outs with poweramp+cab. Some good clean and rockish tones with direct outs however, but for Metal (and the Studio can do it like a C+ does in terms of gain) you will prefer a complete setup (poweramp+cab).

ytse_jam said:
Well, the first paragraph is the exact description of what the Studio Pre is... the second, you know, is obviously the thought of some Mesa fanatics (just like us actually!). That said, the Studio Pre is actually a great sounding preamp and surely can be one of the very best Mesa Boogie products for some people, as always it's a matter of tastes. I own one and I'm very happy... just one thing:

"[...] Studio Preamp as a tool for direct recording [...]"

I disagree with that statement, or however I must say Smith, Bendinelli & Company weren't able to really make the direct outs shine. Much better the standard outs with poweramp+cab. Some good clean and rockish tones with direct outs however, but for Metal (and the Studio can do it like a C+ does in terms of gain) you will prefer a complete setup (poweramp+cab).
You can get some really great direct tones with the standard outs into a computer, then using some good cabinet impulses.

I agree that the direct outs by themselves aren't much of a solution for direct recording, but I can find no fault at all with the tone of the Studio Preamp itself. I am a very happy user and have been for two years now. It is 'my tone'.

Ha...I wrote that on Wiki! I thought it was time that the Studio Pre got some press and I tried to do as good as job as possible describing it and then adding some mystic (all of which has been taken from this board or other sources).

As for the "tool for direct recording" statement, I think I will change that to make it read not so dedicated to this use. Anyone, please feel free to add to the write-up as they see fit.

great work on wiki, reo73! I don't want to hijack the thread, but I always hear great things about the Studio Pre, while I sometimes read about some people who can't find the right poweramp for it. So, all you Studio Pre users, what poweramp do you use with it?

ytse_jam said:
great work on wiki, reo73! I don't want to hijack the thread, but I always hear great things about the Studio Pre, while I sometimes read about some people who can't find the right poweramp for it. So, all you Studio Pre users, what poweramp do you use with it?

When I got my Studio Pre I inquired about different PAs. I ended up hearing the most good things about the 50/50 over the 2:50 and 2:90 so I got one. There was a thread floating where someone said that Mike B said that the Studio Pre paired with a 50/50 is about the same as the IIC+ circuitry. Anyway, the 50/50 has worked well for me. It's warm and punchy and has a 1/2 power switch. The only common complaint about it is that its transformer hums a little but I have not found this to be an issue for me.

I've read many other threads where people like VHT PAs better than any Mesa ones. These people are enemies of the state.

New poster, going over old threads, please forgive for resurrecting...

I've mostly been using a 50/50 with the Studio pre. It's fantastic. I do two regular gigs, one Blues and the other a Doom/Blackened/Thrash metal kind of thing. Occasionally I'll get together with some friends and jam on some jazz/fusion kind of things as well. I switch up rigs occasionally, but the Studio pre with the 50/50 combination handles everything and absolutely excels at whatever it's currently doing. They really do have a synergistic quality together. I'd recommend the combination any day. The only problem is that even with the low power switch engaged on the 50/50, it can overpower small rooms quickly. I might invest in a 20/20 someday for those situations. I'm sure it would be a great fit for smaller rooms.

I also occasionally run my Studio pre through an old Marshall 9005 with EL34's and that sounds great as well. I have an old Marshall Valvestate 8008 around too and while I definitely think the Studio preamp benefits dynamically from a tube poweramp, I can't say that the sound through the Valvestate is bad...it's just not as dynamic or responsive.

My Studio Pre is the only amp I've never sold. I have tried it with several power amps in this order:

1. Power section of a Rev. F Dual Rec head (w/ 6L6's)
2. Peavey 50/50 (w/ EL84's)
3. Mesa 50/50 (6L6's obviously)
4. Peavey 50/50 (bought it again!)
5. Mesa 20/20
6. Tubeworks Mosvalve MV-962
7. Mesa 2:100
8. Mesa 295

And right now I am sticking with the 295! Even in Simul-Class mode with the 6L6's mixed in, I think it still feels primarily like an EL34 amp, but a bit bigger and even more colorful. The Studio Pre + 50/50 combo gave me probably the greatest all-tube clean tone I've ever had, and I might buy a 50/50 again just for that.

At the moment I am comparing my Studio Pre to my new Triaxis, and the competition is very close! I might make a comparison video...

DMTransmutation said:
At the moment I am comparing my Studio Pre to my new Triaxis, and the competition is very close! I might make a comparison video...
Please keep us posted on this, I for one would love to see this!

Back