Question about Channel 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
I've had my Mark V a few months now, and I've finally dialed in Channel 3 just the way I like. After a call to Mesa Boogie about popping when switching channels they suggested that I turn down the Output volume and turn up my channel masters. It worked. No more popping and Channel 3 sounds great on any of the modes (been starting to really like Mark IV mode).

Now, I wasn't too concerned with Channel 1 because it sounded decent before - and I honestly haven't been really using it much with the current band I'm working with (Punk/really hard rock) - but in the studio today myself and the producer were trying to get the clean channel dialed in for a small part of a song that requires it and it was low, thin and weak on any of the modes. I ended up cranking the channel master, and it was still sounding very low in any wattage.

Settings were as follows:

Gain: 10 O'clock
Master: we tried everything
presence: 9
Treble: 12
Mid: 9.5
Bass: 9.5
Output: 9 O'clock
90 Watts

We tried Clean and Fat, normal and bold, with and without the EQ/sliders and presets.

It just wasn't pushing much sound out. Our producer/recording engineer didn't want me to fool with the output volume because we had already gotten Channel 3 set perfect and had been recording with it so didn't want to introduce any changes.

The effects loop is always engaged and is set to noon. I am using a Line 6 Helix with 4 cable method - but I tried disconnecting that altogether. Still weak and thin.

Any ideas? Preamp tube maybe? I'm baffled because I'm pretty sure Channel 1 was sounding pretty good before, although I have used it much since I got the amp. I'd like to get it solved because once I'm done with this album for the punk band I will be with another band that does a lot of southern rock/70's classic rock.

That is odd. If it is tube related, chances are CH2 may be affected as well since they both share V3. I would try changing the channel selector on the back of the amp to confirm if the amp behaves the same way when it is set to CH1 vs the footswitch. Sometimes the logic circuit between the amp and foot switch controller may have issues if there is a problem with the footswitch cable. Also check the FX loop channel selector on the back of the amp which is next to the channel selector. I would change settings and return them to where they should be. Is the amp going into mute or tuner mode when switching to CH1? I have found more issues with the footswitch logic control on the Mark V on occasion that is usually due to bad connections. Odd though the Roadster uses practically the same circuits (may be different) and the same footswitch cable and never had any issues with it what so ever. Perhaps the logic control is not seeing the proper signal combination and is switching to a mode that does not exist for the Mark V since it only has three channels vs 4 like the Roadster.

I did have a similar issue but it affected all channels. Weak signal was essentially cross-talk between the tubes and not direct feed to the output power section. What fixed it, I cycled the manual channel control knob on the back a few times and returned it to the footswitch position. If you cannot regain CH1 function by the manual switch, chances are there may be an issue with the logic control circuit in the amp, first try it with the footswitch disconnected.

I have also done an oops once by connecting the speaker jack to the tuner out. I did get some murmer of a sound through the speaker but that usually is an indication to turn off the amp immediately and double check all the hook ups.

bandit2013 said:
That is odd. If it is tube related, chances are CH2 may be affected as well since they both share V3. I would try changing the channel selector on the back of the amp to confirm if the amp behaves the same way when it is set to CH1 vs the footswitch. Sometimes the logic circuit between the amp and foot switch controller may have issues if there is a problem with the footswitch cable. Also check the FX loop channel selector on the back of the amp which is next to the channel selector. I would change settings and return them to where they should be. Is the amp going into mute or tuner mode when switching to CH1? I have found more issues with the footswitch logic control on the Mark V on occasion that is usually due to bad connections. Odd though the Roadster uses practically the same circuits (may be different) and the same footswitch cable and never had any issues with it what so ever. Perhaps the logic control is not seeing the proper signal combination and is switching to a mode that does not exist for the Mark V since it only has three channels vs 4 like the Roadster.

I'm wondering now about the footswitch - I'm using a mini amp gizmo to switch channels with my pedal board (L6 Helix). So that very well could be an issue. While I did unhook the Line6, the Mini Amp Gizmo was still engaged. Also - I have not tried Channel 2 because I haven't really dialed in a sound there yet, but I do remember that one being a lot lower then I thought it should be but I didn't really check it out because I'm not using it yet. Still a really new amp to me, I bought it new only a few months back.

Right now the amp is still at the studio, hopefully we finish up there this week and I can really check it out when I get it home. thanks for the suggestions!

Try turning the gain up a bit.10 oclock is pretty low.I usually have it around 12-1 oclock.With single coils anyway.It adds a bit of girth.The gain knob is more a voicing control really and it also adds some volume.

CH2 will sound a bit lower compared to CH3 when using 45W and tube rectifier. Depending on what speaker set up you are using, I found CH2 to be perfect for some heavy stuff with the gain dimed, treble and mid at 2pm, bass at 10am along with the presence about the same as the bass.

I would remove the non-mesa gear at the moment to confirm that CH1 is even working. I suspect it is the with the other products that may be the cause but you will not know until you remove it first. If CH1 works, perhaps there is a fix for the other products to be more compatible with the Mark V. There may be others that have had similar issues with the mini amp gizmo. Search the forums for it and perhaps you will find answers.

I still haven't had too much time to look into my issue. However, another one cropped up in the studio.

For my 1st guitar tracks I went with Extreme mode, and everything sounded great. For my second guitar tracks I wanted a different voicing and was going to use Mark IV mode - however I was getting a loud whistle - almost feedback sounding noise. I unplugged everything from the amp except of course the cabinet. Still there. If I dial back the gain (was at a 2.5 setting) it goes away. If I dial back the volume quite a bit either on the master or output, it goes away. But it just does not like high gain with the volume up.

I am not getting this on any other channel/mode setting.

I ended up finishing the tracks on Mark IIC+ mode - I will say, it sounded great for the lead parts. Very liquid...

Mark IV mode has the most compression and gain of all the CH3 voicings. You may need to dial back the presence or drop the center slider if you are using the GEQ. If you have it set to preset, you may be able to adjust. If you look at the settings list that many have provided, with high gain on mark IV mode there is a tradeoff on some settings either with the master of the channel, presence or treble. Also try turning off the high frequency boost switch. I typically get ample amounts of gain on CH3 with the gain control set to 10am. Any higher the feedback becomes unpredictable unless I adjust something else to compensate. What I found that helps correct the overall brightness and better gain control on the Mark V is the Mesa SPAX7 in V1, sure it is the same as the 12AX7 tube but seems to have a different character to it (may even have a bit of gain reduction). I had more issues with amp brittleness in the upper frequency with the standard 12AX7 compared to the SPAX7. I have tried a Tung Sol 12AX7 but I prefer the Mesa SPAX7 for V1, the rest of the tubes are all Mesa standard.

Your bass and mids are pretty low, try to rise their level to bring more body.
Also try the tweed mode with very low gain, it definitely add some body to the sound.

What are you using the mini amp gizmo to control in regards to channel 1?
Is there a certain effect or patch that isn't set right that could be coming in when you hit the controller that causes the MAG to switch to channel 1?

Back