Put a Tungsram in my Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
that I bought off ebay. It had no logos or anything on it, I just compared it with other pics that i found of them. Heres what i got. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110595904946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I slapped it in V2 and cranked it for a bit. My first response in comparing the Tunsgram to the RFT that I have been using is the Tungsram is smoother and has way less gain. Could also be just the slot its in. I will try it in V1 and also in V3 to get a better idea of the gain characteristics. I do say though that while I blend R2 and te Lead channel the sound is pretty killer as well. I still think that the Tungsram takes a notch of the gain out that I prefer but not terribly bad. The sound of it kinda makes up for it.

Anyway, I need to play with it more to really find out if I like it or not.

Facelift said:
I still think that the Tungsram takes a notch of the gain out that I prefer but not terribly bad. The sound of it kinda makes up for it.

Anyway, I need to play with it more to really find out if I like it or not.

The Tungsram in V1 of my Marks make the cleans oh so nice. FWIW, tone overrides gain 24/7 !

yeah but I dont play on the clean channel nearly as much as I do the Lead. Although i do like a good clean sound. The tone I hear from the Tungsram in V2 is great. It seems to be more harmonically rich than the RFT but has about 1/3 less gain. I dont know if maybe since this tube I got from the bay is used and maybe worn out a little or if that just how they are...gainwise. Im really happy with the tone of R2 and Lead blended. Love that thick distortion.

To my ears the tungsram is more balanced with less gain than a RFT. Where as a RFT has more bass, gain & less high end.

My fav combo right now is tungsram's in v1-2 & a RFT in v3. The increased high end detail really shines in v1 for the clean channel. The RFT is a perfect compliment to the lead channel in v3. All IMO.

What is your lineup now?

I have also played around with this tubes a fair bit.

All RFT`s in my IIc+ made the amp sound too dark and as if there and is lacking transperency, and did not really sing with solo work.
But the sound had a tone of balls, and bass is amazing.

The amp sounds very different with all the RFT`s wich indicates to me that the RFT`S have a very profound sonic signature.

Word of caution, I also tried some RFT`S without the ring getter, the did not not sound as ballsy as the ones with the ring getter.

The tungsrams are very transperent , with all tungsrams in there the guitar almost has that acoustic guitar transperency going in the clean channel, but the lack the punch of the RFT`s

When i put the two tungsrams in v1 and v2 and rfts for the rest , it really gives the best of both worlds imo, and the amp has that singing sustain that sound so godly

ltd2recto said:
To my ears the tungsram is more balanced with less gain than a RFT. Where as a RFT has more bass, gain & less high end.

My fav combo right now is tungsram's in v1-2 & a RFT in v3. The increased high end detail really shines in v1 for the clean channel. The RFT is a perfect compliment to the lead channel in v3. All IMO.

What is your lineup now?

Currently this is what I have going on.

V1-RFT
V2-Tungsram
V3-RFT
V4-Mesa/Ruby
V5-RFT

I personally like what the RFT did in V1. It made the Lead channel come alive. Even though I have one in V3 as well, I did notice a considerable amount of change when all I had was the stock mesa in V3. I notice that the Tungsram definitely gives off a more rounded spongier feeling especially when palm muting. Im not much of a lead player so hearing how they make it "sing" isnt in the cards for me yet. I like heavy distortion myself so I wantto try and get as much out of this amp as possible. So far its going good. I just wish the Tungsram had the same amount of gain as the RFT but with the same sonic qualities.

As for the RFT without the ring getter. I know what you mean. I have tried both and prefer the one with the ring.

Where are you guys buying your RFT's? Is there a consistent source without paying vintage prices? RFT was the mfg for so many other brands (Siemens, National, etc.) you can get lucky to find a lot or two from various vendors, but that's not reliable in the long run.

kdorsey said:
Where are you guys buying your RFT's? Is there a consistent source without paying vintage prices? RFT was the mfg for so many other brands (Siemens, National, etc.) you can get lucky to find a lot or two from various vendors, but that's not reliable in the long run.

ebay is the only consistant source. Just gotta look for the right deal. I dont see the point in paying anymore than 30-35 for one tube. Thats kinda high if you ask me but still worth it.

Facelift said:
kdorsey said:

ebay is the only consistant source. Just gotta look for the right deal. I dont see the point in paying anymore than 30-35 for one tube. Thats kinda high if you ask me but still worth it.

Considering they last a lot longer then current production tubes the price isn't that bad...

Latest posts

Back