Pulled 2 tubes out of my Triple Rec...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnarkill3k6

Reaction score
Could't find any clear answers if it could be done... so I just did it :p

I pulled the 2 outer power tubes and left the rectifiers alone, put the amp on silicon diodes and left the 4ohm cab in the 4ohm tab.
It seems the sound is a bit more 'growly' but that's only on a volume setting suitable for home playing.

So, my amp didn't instantly die, still works normal, still got 'my tone' and seem to run a bit cooler.

Should I try only 2 6l6's?

Pulling power tubes to run at lower wattage is only supported on the Dual (says the manual). I would not mess with it. I would put it back as fast as I could. The triple is a slightly different monster than the dual on the power section.

But, if you are just have to try it, make sure you pull Rectifier tubes as well. If you are running 2 power tubes, you would only want 1 rectifier installed etc... 4 power tubes, 2 rectifier tubes, etc...

I have been told, by Boogie, that on a Triple it is perfectly safe to do that only you want to plug your cab into the next lower ohm jack. The impedance is mismatched but it is not going to harm anything.

@ Bendo
Well, F the police ;-) I think the very low volume (at home) is not going to damage anything.

@ R_ADKINS80
I was thinking of trying only 2 tubes and run a 16ohm speaker on the 4ohm jack. Did Boogie say anything about that?
Another thing I wanted to try is 4 6L6's on the EL34 bias setting to run them a bit hotter.

They didn't mention running only two tubes in a Triple. It is perfectly safe to run 6l6 in the EL34 setting BUT you have to use tube rectifiers. They will get the bias perfect. Using diodes will cook the tubes in shirt order.

Back