Prospective Boogie Owner with a lot of Questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killswitch

Reaction score
ok, im planning on becoming a Mesa owner in September, i will be picking up a Dual Rec and i have some questions about it...

About how much extra would Mesa charge for a black diamond plate front with chrome chassis/black knobs??

From experience, does knocking it down to 50 watts beef up the distortion?

EL34s... how are they in a recto? Distortions / Cleans

Is their any way to beef up the "rhythm section" (palm muted distortion) while keeping the clarity of open chording? (thats what initially is attracting me)

i'll post more as i can think of them

Killswitch said:
About how much extra would Mesa charge for a black diamond plate front with chrome chassis/black knobs??

$149.00 for the black diamond plate front panel
$199.00 for a chrome chassis

- It'll thicken things up...

EL34s... how are they in a recto? Distortions / Cleans

- Never tried them and don't want to really.

Is their any way to beef up the "rhythm section" (palm muted distortion) while keeping the clarity of open chording? (thats what initially is attracting me)

- Learn to ride the volume knob on your guitar, or get a volume pedal. It'll let you adjust your input signal, thus changing how much overdrive is applied to the signal. Run it lower for chord work, run it higher for palm muted rhythm, run it full for leads.....that's how I do it.

- EMG's help alot with the above. They hold alot of clarity under high gain, and they don't mud up like passives when you roll the volume down.

I run EL-34's in conjunction with THD Yellowjackets in my Recto. IMHO, the amp sounds a lot tighter. As far as Palm muted chug and clarity, I think it's right up there with the Uberschall. You really get the best of both the EL-34s and EL-84's.

all my main guitars are already emg equipped, and you're right... they do make a huge difference...

so im essentially looking at about $2000 for the amp with the specific aesthetics??

by knocking it down to 50 would it sound more like a single? or are there still differences?

i only ask this because i wonder if i would benefit from trying a single out at the store, because i dont think guitar center is gonna let me pull tubes out of their amps :lol:

so im essentially looking at about $2000 for the amp with the specific aesthetics??

unless you go used......

by knocking it down to 50 would it sound more like a single? or are there still differences?

you wouldnt have to crank it as much just like the single, but you still can switch to the tube rectifier.

dylan7620 said:
you wouldnt have to crank it as much just like the single, but you still can switch to the tube rectifier.

+1.

The Dual has some features the Single doesn't have.....such as a 3rd channel, tube/solid state rectification, bold/spongy variac....

dude, if you want the black face plate do yourself a big favor and go and buy some black spraypaint. (heat acticated automotive paint for engines works the best)

redmax61 said:
I run EL-34's in conjunction with THD Yellowjackets in my Recto. IMHO, the amp sounds a lot tighter. As far as Palm muted chug and clarity, I think it's right up there with the Uberschall. You really get the best of both the EL-34s and EL-84's.

you mean after you put the the EL84s and EL34s in it sounda like an UBER? Cuz if thats the case I gotta try it.

Thing is, the Uber doesent sing for leads like a boogie does. But nothing sings for leads like a boogie does..

I pullled two of my inside power tubes and one preamp tube for the 50w experiment. I got bit more head room, because the volume was lower so I could crank the output higher. But it put my sound were I didn't like it. I prefer all the 6l6s in mine. I tried the el34. The cleans sounded better, but I didn't like the way the distortion sounded. It might of just needed some fine tuning on the settings though. I am gonna try the yellowjackets/el34 combo next just for giggles.

OneMoreAugust said:
I pullled two of my inside power tubes and one preamp tube for the 50w experiment. I got bit more head room, because the volume was lower so I could crank the output higher.

ummmm, why did you a pull a pre tube?

no soul said:
OneMoreAugust said:
I pullled two of my inside power tubes and one preamp tube for the 50w experiment. I got bit more head room, because the volume was lower so I could crank the output higher.

ummmm, why did you a pull a pre tube?

That is a good question. I thought it was only the Power tubes.

Sorry, mistype. Two power tubes and a rectifier tube....
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:16 am Post subject: Dual Rec Tech - How to reduce power by removing tubes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reposting this from another thread since it seems to be a (understandably) popular configuration, with limited information available outside of calling Mesa.

Quote:
I've heard of some players removing 2 of the power tubes in recto heads to achieve a 50 watt solution.

It is true and it works! I've been running mine (Tremoverb) with two EL34's for about 5 years now. It is very simple. Here is what you need to do.

Remove two power tubes in pairs, either the two outter or two inner pair. I removed the two inner since I figured it would space out the other remaining tubes and maybe offer better heat dissipation. Also remove one Rectifier tube. It doesn't matter which one. I left the one closest to the power tubes.

There is one other consideration - your speaker jack impedences double. So you basically have one 32 ohm, two 16 ohm, and two 8 ohm jacks now. I applied some masking tape above the jacks and relabled mine to reflect the new values.

This effectively reduces your output to 50 watts +or-. It is still a loud amp - this isn't a 50% reduction in volume. Your bold/spongy and vintage/modern settings will reduce wattage more, and I believe if i remember correctly, that you can actually get it down to about 20 watts or so, depending on switch position.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.
but ummmm thanks for the grammar check :p

yeah you shouldnt pull pre tubes... if anything one of the rectifiers (either one) as the manual suggests this... ive always run my amp in 50 watt mode with one rectifier.... although i dont know why they suggest pulling a rec. because technically i dont think it would cause a problem... but it sounds great, you get the harmonic over tones, the thickness and creaminess boogies are known for at lower volumes, plus its a little more reactive which i like, it gains alot more touch sensitivity, i can go from raging grind on my third modern channel down to clangy gritty overdrive (like a pushed fender) just by adjusting my pick dynamics

Latest posts

Back