Proper Usage Of Standby Switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Restless Rocks said:
I'm wondering if the life expectancy of most modern made tubes is such that the actual damage would become noticable before their replacement.

That's probably a pretty valid point.

Spherion said:
See, the Triple Rectifier manual

9.) Flip the STANDBY switch to the ON (up) position and enter the world of Rectosis."

Just to clarify...

Rectosis occurs when the brain is no longer required to process as many thoughts as it usually does. When this happens, the lack of brain activity causes the skull's core temperature to drop, which can cause cell damage and nerve degeneration.

As a response, the body slowly curls up to keep heat from escaping. In advanced stages of the disease, the skull is inserted fully into the subject's own anus, where it is kept at a working temperature by the surrounding body heat.

The unfortunate side effect is that victims of this disease are rendered blind to the world around them, and functionally deaf when any attempt is made to get through to them.

Stand by before power down. You don't want a fart while in a state of rectosis!! :lol:

I thought I saw an electrician chime in a while ago about the "draining the caps" subject and stated that regardless of how you power down, the caps still retain a charge. Can anyone please verify this? I know that most modern electronics, including TV's, retain a charge in the capacitors with no ill-affects or shortening of the life.

Mesa writes EXTREMELY thorough owners manuals and if they felt it was necessary to follow a certain power-down procedure, I'm sure they would have included that in the owners manual. They only mention power up procedures in the manual

Regarding "cathode poisoning", well, that's new to me. Interesting info for sure. I usually keep my amp in standby during breaks so I don't keep powering up and down my amp. Usually the PA mains are still on at the venues I play so there would be a little hum through the mains if I left my amp on. Even though I have not experienced cathode poisoning (at least I don't think I have), I might have to rethink putting it in standby at our next show.

AdmiralB said:
Charlie said:
I'm 99% sure it's ok to turn the amp on *while it is in standby mode* without a load attached.

Sure. But that's not what he asked.

'Would it hurt the amp to have it all ON without a cab connected to it ???'

Actually... he did.

Charlie said:
'Would it hurt the amp to have it all ON without a cab connected to it ???'

Actually... he did.

Then I guess your interpretation of "all ON" is different from mine. I interpret "all ON" as different from "on *while it is in standby mode*".

The first is not safe, with DRs and TOVs. The latter is safe.

I often leave my DR ON and on standby without it being connected to a cab. Since Admiral said it is not good to do so, I was wondering if it was safe to put it all ON (not on standby) without a cab connected to it. What i understood from his answer is that it is not safe. So you only have two good ways to safely warm your amp up before a show.
1. Put it on and on standby with a cab connected to it and only for about 3 minutes before you go off standby
2. Put it ON and off standby with a cab connected to it for as long as you want

Am i right ?

Hey, What does it mean if you get a pop sound when turning the standby on? It's kinda loud. It only happens sometimes.

Thanks!

srf399 said:
Also I don't move the amp until the tubes have cooled down

thirstypirate said:
What type of damage does this prevent? I moved my LSC at home the other day while it was on it's casters and it made a jarring reverb sound. It didn't sound healthy at the time.

Nevermind my dumba$$ question. I've never had an amp with spring reverb before this one.

LSS has a standby - and it's labled

STAND BY ON

And nothing on the other side - Not real clear... "STAND BY ON" is actially "off - meaning you can't play) Switching STAND BY "opposite ON" turns amp on. (stand by off) So like does "ON mean amp on - play or STAND BY ON? (amp no play) not real clear on Mesa's part...

Rojoyinc said:
LSS has a standby - and it's labled

With Mesa, when in doubt always start with the manual. Here is what the manual says in describing the switches, which I think is very clear both in terms of their function, and the recommended power up procedure.

"POWER: This sideways 2 position toggle switch determines the status of the incoming AC power. During power up it is important that you turn the POWER switch on first and allow at least 30 seconds of warm up time for the power tubes before flipping the STANDBY to the ON position. Following this start up procedure will lessen the shock on cold tubes and increase their toneful service life.

STANDBY: Perfect for set breaks... this toggle switch also serves an even more important purpose. In the Standby position the tubes are at idle so that during power up they may warm up before being put to use. Before power is switched on make sure the STANDBY switch is in the Standby position. Wait at least 30 seconds and then flip the STANDBY switch to the ON position. This prevents tube problems and increases their toneful life substantially."

Latest posts

Back