Problem With My Mini Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiJoe

Reaction score
The varying textures and levels of gain available in each of the 4 modes has made my OD pedals (all two of them) redundant. I tried to find a way to use them, but when it's all said and done, nothing compares to what the Mini can deliver all on its own. It's really independent and self reliant and has no use or need of friends. The Mini is extremely possessive and just keeps drawing me back into its web of pristine, virginal cleans; or its slightly hairy and warm clip; or its liquid, smooth and round sustain; or tempt me with its all-out, full-blown distorted anarchy which really isn't my thing (but I occasionally have a go 'cause it's there).

While the Mini Rec has no trouble really getting along with any pedal - it's actually very pedal friendly with pedals out front and in its simple yet amazing series FX loop - it's just so superior to anything else that they end up just being ignored at best; discarded at worst. The amp has virtually kicked them off the board, leaving them homeless and without purpose. It's just not fair that an amp should have such an incredible natural tube OD.

I almost feel bad for my pedals and feel guilty for preferring the Mini Rec exclusively over all else. Almost. :wink:

+1.
I love playing my mini. Im usually in the higher gain territory, but I agree - I wouldnt want anything coloring of the tone it provides. Maybe a few fx, but thats all.

Gotta agree, awesome tones right out of the box.. Too bad I can't switch the 2nd channel to Modern without driving my neighbors nuts. There's just that sudden jump from whisper to too loud (apartment-wise). The amp actually sends some signal to the speaker even if I turn the channel volume down to zero, that normal? It's a great amp and I'm trying to learn everything there is to know about it :)
(My first post here)

:lol: I can help you with your dilemma. Take your most transparent sounding OD pedal, turn the gain down, run it through the loop and use it as a solo boost! You're welcome!
KiwiJoe said:
The varying textures and levels of gain available in each of the 4 modes has made my OD pedals (all two of them) redundant. I tried to find a way to use them, but when it's all said and done, nothing compares to what the Mini can deliver all on its own. It's really independent and self reliant and has no use or need of friends. The Mini is extremely possessive and just keeps drawing me back into its web of pristine, virginal cleans; or its slightly hairy and warm clip; or its liquid, smooth and round sustain; or tempt me with its all-out, full-blown distorted anarchy which really isn't my thing (but I occasionally have a go 'cause it's there).

While the Mini Rec has no trouble really getting along with any pedal - it's actually very pedal friendly with pedals out front and in its simple yet amazing series FX loop - it's just so superior to anything else that they end up just being ignored at best; discarded at worst. The amp has virtually kicked them off the board, leaving them homeless and without purpose. It's just not fair that an amp should have such an incredible natural tube OD.

I almost feel bad for my pedals and feel guilty for preferring the Mini Rec exclusively over all else. Almost. :wink:

Matt O'Casster said:
:lol: I can help you with your dilemma. Take your most transparent sounding OD pedal, turn the gain down, run it through the loop and use it as a solo boost! You're welcome!
KiwiJoe said:

Actually, using just about any TS-style OD in front of the amp with the volume up and the gain down will give you a different flavor of distortion that the amp simply can't do on its own. The reason for this is that this boosted signal hits the very first gain stage harder that a straight guitar will.

SteveO said:
Matt O'Casster said:
KiwiJoe said:

Actually, using just about any TS-style OD in front of the amp with the volume up and the gain down will give you a different flavor of distortion that the amp simply can't do on its own. The reason for this is that this boosted signal hits the very first gain stage harder that a straight guitar will.
I meant the OP to be a tongue in cheek testament as to how great the Mini Rec's OD is. As I noted, I've tried a few pedals out front. The thing is that over time I always seemed to gravitate back to one of the flavours offered by the amp by itself. The Mesa has the voice that I'm looking for 99% of the time.

Truth is that I actually have kept one other OD pedal on the board, a ZVex Distortron clone, for when I'm in the mood for a JTM 45 kind of vibe.

And my Grid Slammer is in the gig bag so I can always have a Mesa voice if I'm stuck with some other amp.

With a Recto I typically plug straight in with a delay in the loop. Sometimes I use a wah if I'm going to be covering Alice in Chains.

Latest posts

Back