Price estimate for scalloping Fretboard???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy977

Reaction score
Anyone know around how much it would be to scallop frets 12-24 on an OLP Petrucci model? I was jammin on a Malmsteen Fender and I was digging how the higher frets played. The lower wider frets started to sound out of tune when I played chords (probably since I would have to get used to playing on that type of fretbaord. Would it be cheaper to scallop half the guitar instead of the whole guitar?

irishguy977 said:
I was jammin on a Malmsteen Fender and I was digging how the higher frets played.

Where did you find one to play?!? I've wanted to play one of those for quite some time, I just can never find one.

-AJH

^^^^^
Sweet Recto you got in that picture!

There was a used one for sale at the Guitar Center by my house in Glen Burnie, MD. This was about a month ago. It was such a sweet guitar except I did not like the yellowish color. By now it is probably in some 12 year kids stocking bought by his rich Daddy.

What a coincidence to read your post, Irishguy. I just ordered a Malmsteen Strat last week and I'm actually listening to "Unleash the Fury" as I type this.

As for your question about cost to scallop, I noticed that Warmoth charges $90 to scallop from the 12th fret on up but that only charge $20 more ($110) to scallop the entire neck. I also checked around on the 'net to see what some others charge and one luthier I saw charges $110 for half the fretboard but only $160 for the entire neck. So it looks like you'd save a bit of money getting only part of the neck scalloped but it's really only a little bit more to get the full fretboard done. I guess there's something to be said for buying in quantity.

As you probably know, there are several options for scalloping. The 2007 Fender Malmsteens have relatively deep scallops over the fingerboard. Some guitars are only partially scalloped, from the 12th to the 22nd or 24th fret. Steve Vai's Ibanez JEM's are scalloped only for the last four frets.

Another scalloping approach that may appeal to you is the progressive scallop. I have a '97 Blackmore Signature Strat from Japan that has this sort of scalloping. In progressive scalloping, the scallops get deeper as you move further up the neck. The scalloping is also deeper on the treble side of the neck as opposed to the bass side. That means that down where one would play a lot of chords, the scallops are shallow but up where you would likely play lead lines, the scallops are deeper. Blackmore uses this sort of scalloping which is why it's on his signature guitars from Fender.

I hope that info helps.

If you feel like it wouldn't be a big deal you could try it on your own. I had an old strat neck that I scalloped myself using a dremel tool. There was a nice round shaped grinding attachment that fit perfect between the high frets. I put layers and layers of masking tape of the frets to protect them and used a razor to cut the tape real close so just the fret wire was covered and then I took the dremel and ran it inbetween all of the frets. It takes a steady hand. You will lose your inlays. After I scalloped it all I cheaped out instead of getting inlay I just used a hole punch on some electrical tape and put that in place of the inlay then I used a nitrocellulose laquer over it all. It was my first time doing anything like that but it worked.

Back