• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pre-500 Dual Recitifier head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veilside-bpu

Reaction score
I'm in a current financial bind and am considering selling my pre-500 (serial in low 400s) Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head. The head is in beautiful condition, has the chrome faceplate, and has fresh tubes throughout.

I don't know what I would be willing to sell it for, so I am currently entertaining offers. I know that pre-500s are very tough to come by and that prices can be rather high for them depending on the current market, which I am unaware of its state today. I bought the head some years back (2004) for a little over $2200, which was, at that time, a good deal since many were selling well over $2500 and even as high as $3000.

It breaks my heart to even consider selling it, but life has left me with little choice. Feel free to send me a PM or leave a comment here. I'll log-in once a day to see if there are any offers. Sorry for the unconventional approach in selling the head.

I won't acknowledge low-ball offers, and likely wouldn't be interested in a trade unless it involves some rather particular gear that I've always wanted (1996 Jimmy Page Gibson Les Paul; Marshall 1959rr; early 80s Gibson flying V).

Thanks, everyone. :) :)

Are you selling the one you just bought in January?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68807

psychodave said:
Are you selling the one you just bought in January?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68807

No. I tried PM-ing that guy but he never got back in touch, so I assume he sold it by the time that I posted that or he chose to keep it. I'm glad he didn't get back in touch, because then I'd be trying to get rid of two.

...Just for an update, I've received a few PMs on this, but all in all there seems to be rather minimal interest. This is a real shock to me, because years ago pre-500s were highly desired. Maybe the newer DRs are very close in tone to the original ones (?) or maybe this board isn't the place to offer it. Not sure.

Hi veilside-bpu,

I'm also curious about what the deal is with early Rectos... I've only really looked at posts on this forum in regards to prices for selling my DR, but there seems to be little desire for Mesa's vintage (and in my opinion superiorly built) amps. These early '90s Rectos are some of my favorite amps out there, tone-wise, but not the current taste that is in favor. Nothing else can do what they do when you get em dialed in, but perhaps the new Chinese offerings that come close are more desirable to people because they are new, come with warranty, and they're not old-hat... I think these will always be classics, but maybe now is not the time, or perhaps this is not the place. I wish I knew... (just listed mine for sale a minute ago on a Facebook group).

Good luck with the sale veilside-bpu.

This thread is a big read but shows the differences in the pre 500 rectos up to the Rev G http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58838

All of Mesa's amps are still made in the U.S

JCDenton6 said:
All of Mesa's amps are still made in the U.S

I know! I used to build them right up to the time when they completely changed construction techniques in 2000. I wasn't saying Mesa's are made in China. There are plenty of brands made in China that offer products that plenty of people buy, and then consumers complain about actual quality amps that are made by Americans being over-priced... it's like a drug that consumers are addicted to, these Chinese products priced so low, and made like complete garbage. But, there are some decent Chinese-built products out there. I don't mean to over-generalize, but I'm not trying to write an essay. LOL

Latest posts

Back