Picking up a new Dual Rectifier....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to get a new Dual Rectifier. I really like the improvements Mesa has made to the clean channel, the smoother gain in the other channels (easier for dialing in a lead) and great options throughout.

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of a lot of issues with reliability, etc? I get worried with new amps because they all use RoHS solder and that scares me but I wonder what the reports have been in the field on the new Rectifiers.
A friend of mine is an engineer and said he would not trust any amp built after 2004 for this reason.

Thanks!

I haven't had any trouble out of mine. Worked great straight out of the boxes. Mine stay in a live in rolling case, so they are protected all the time. But, they are about to see some heavy touring here in the next few months. I'm not worried.

-AJH

screamingdaisy said:
A friend of mine's an amp tech and he doesn't trust anything built after 1974.

I guess you're screwed.

And the Mike Fuller (creator of Fulltone) says that he's never heard an amp built after 1971 that sounds good. I guess having little old Ukrainian women hand-solder electronics in large factories is the true holy grail of tone and reliability!

b0nkersx said:
I guess having little old Ukrainian women hand-solder electronics in large factories is the true holy grail of tone and reliability!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The new Recs are definitely an improvement for sure. I'm still not sure if it's convincing enough to pick up another one, though. :|

~Nep~

My new Dual should arrive in about 5 weeks. Can't wait to get that bad boy on stage.

Build quality of Mesa's is generally excellent. I haven't heard of any problems with the new "Multi Watt" rectifiers.... and I searched long and hard on every forum out there to make sure the new ones didn't have any issues.

mylo said:
Whats the deal with the new solder? Haven't heard that one yet.

A few years ago (4-5 years maybe?), the European standards for electronics changed. One of these changes was that no lead could be used in any electronics.

If you want to sell electronics in Europe, you had to follow ROHS rules. Hence, no lead in solder.
The newer, leadless solder supposedly doesn't flow at easy. It also needs a higher temp to melt. There were some problems with this change over initially, but to my knowledge, any problems have been worked out.

Still can't to get my new Dual Rect. 8)

Seriously, and I mean no offense, I dont understand how people can say the 2010 has way better tone than the 2009? even the clean ch wasnt drastic. It deffinately feels and plays better so Ill agree its great improvement there. but the high gain tones? When the new ones 1st came into my local shop a bunch of us with nothing better to do sat around with a 2010 and an older one. We really couldnt any differences when they were each tweaked seperately. features and clean aside. If you set all the knobs the same on both amps they did sound different. The 2010 was clearer and less muddy. but the same tones could be had from the older ones with a slight tweak of the knobbies.

Either way though, its an improvemnt and still a great amp. Congrats!

Just picked one up last night, great amp. My friend played through my '96 2 Channel and I used the new one. Lots of tonal differences and together they ruled!

Latest posts

Back