Pentode vs. Triode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
I know that the pentode is supposed to give you more head room while the triode is supposed to lower the threshold for clipping. Is this correct?

If so than would it make sense to run mostly in triode unless you were playing in a large area when you would need it? If not what would be some other benefits for running in pentode.

Also if I'm correct about my first statement would that facilitate better overdirve (especially for single coils) at lower volume?

Any and all insight???

Thanks

Pentode has a punchier feel to it. The more you dig in, the louder it gets; so to speak. More dynamics.
Triode has a smoother feel to it. Maybe more harmonic content. Smoother bass and a little compressed.

At least this is my experience on a mark iv. Both modes are suitable for low and high volumes, and clean and overdriven tones.

I prefer pentode, it is more aggressive and present. Triode always seems like it sucks the "tone" out to me.

i use both, but triode wayyy more..that smoothness and richness is just unreal with simul/triode.

Fronzil said:
i use both, but triode wayyy more..that smoothness and richness is just unreal with simul/triode.
+2

I usually use simul/pentode to fine tune the eq knobs and such (mainly bass and presence), and then switch to simul/triode to smooth it all out. Works great. 8)

When my mkIII was getting the recap and new tubes I toted with the idea of having my amp tech add a switch for pentode/ triode but I didn't. Now I wish I wouldve done it just to add even more versatility. It's a green stripe and the outer pair of EL34s are wired in pentode. I'll probably get it done soon. It's a cheap mod and there's room for a toggle.

I hear yeah...but what characteristics would you say one had over the other. When you choose what type of sound are you generally looking for as you choose?

swbo101 said:
I hear yeah...but what characteristics would you say one had over the other. When you choose what type of sound are you generally looking for as you choose?
I guess it's just what you like to hear at the time. Pentode has a few more watts, is punchier and more bold. Triode is smooth, even, and cuts the power a bit so you can crank the master a bit more. My lead channel is set up for a Metallica-ish type rhythm tone and lately I've been favoring pentode with the gain at 7 and the lead drive at 5. Really fat and punchy tone.

I think it depends on what kind style of music you are playing.

If I want all metal I go for pentode.
Like others have said if you want a smoother sound go for triode.

Either way they both sound great and it comes down to the sound you are trying to achieve.

I play in triode most of the time, but that suites my playing style better.

Best of luck.

I usually run pentode for the rock/ metal stuff and triode for cleaner, country/pop stuff- works great....but Ive lately been up in the air as to which way to run the harmonics/ mid gain switch in tandem w/ the pentode /triode switch...they all sound sooooo good!

Just thought I'd say hi and subscribe to this topic. I'm still exploring and learning my MKV, and this is definitely one of the areas where I feel like I can't make a decision one way or another. At first, it was hard for me to even hear/feel the difference. I think I can notice the increase in punch on pentode. Also, am I right in noticing that pentode is a little less "forgiving" on fast runs, for example? I assume that would be because of faster attack?

Can a pentode/triode switch be installed on a 60/100 and a 60 watt IIC+? would it be worth it?
i know, i know... "bring out your dead" lol

thanks

scott

Latest posts

Back