PEDAL NOOB!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a 2CH Dual Rec and a 4x12 Trad. Cabinet. I typically don't use many effects, as I play heavy post punk/hardcore and just like the tightest "hit you in the chest" sound as I can get. Recently a friend of mine turned me on to getting a clean boost and a BBE Sonic Stomp. I've been running both in the FX loop and it seems to tighten up the overall sound a bit. I see that most people don't dig the BBE stuff for guitars and also that most people run Clean Boosts in the front. My clean boost is an MXR MicroAMP...do these suck? Currently in the front of the amp, I'm just running an NS-2. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what I may be able to do differently to get a better result? Also, possibly the best settings for the MXR and the NS2? Should I just hook the Sonic Stomp up the PA instead?

Thanks in advance

the mxr microamp isn't terrible in my experience, but i've never compared it to higher end stuff. some people on here recommend the Xotic BB preamp as a boost.

running the boost in the loop will give you a true clean boost, but if you're looking for a "tight" sound out of a rectifier, the standard way is to put the boost in front of the amp.

putting it in front of the amp is kind of like adjusting the volume knob on your guitar, whereas putting it in the loop is kind of like adjusting the volume on your amp.

thanks much for the info. also, when using things in the effects loop on a DR, what do you guys set the send level at on the amp?

If your effects are doing what you want them to and are giving a tone that you think is good, it shouldn't matter if you're effects are not the flavor of the month. There are a ton of effects out there, some better and some decidedly worse, but what works for one guy might not work for the another. It's subjective. Take recommendations, but then verify with your own ears to see if it gives you the tone that you're after.

Latest posts

Back