Palmer PDI-03 vs PGA-04 rackmount loadbox

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbone

Reaction score
Palmer PDI-03 vs PGA-04 rackmount loadbox anyone worked with them pros cons.
I would be using this on a dual rectifier rackmount. Load box needed so I can use Mesa 295 poweramp. Looking for something rackbased

OK I found it yeah that don't look so good, but why is the question? I was basically looking for a rack based solution so I could use the Dual Rectifier Rackmount I already have.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55303&hilit=palmer

Maybe I am approaching this from the wrong angle, maybe I should be looking for a Recto recording pre and run that through the Mesa high gain amp switcher into the Mesa 295 wonder how that would sound?

Hi, I owned a PDI and have a PGA04 right now. I used it in my mono setup with a VHT 2502. No problems.. They are similar but I heard people say the prefer the old one. I can find no differences... The only difference is the toe pots instead of toggleswitches.
My VHT goes to a 2x12 cab on the left and to the PGA-04 on the right. No issues... Works geat. Allways the same tone on stage and I often play with no sound out of my 2x12... just the PGA-04 over the monitors...

I use a THD Hotplate to load down my Recto Rackmount.....works perfectly. The line out on the Hotplate sounds killer as it taps the sound after the Recto transformer. Sounds better than the line-out on the Recto. Just set it on top of your rack or put it on a rack tray in your rig. You could even mount it in the back of the rack somewhere if space is limited. I had the Recto pre and thought it was decent but the Recto Rackmount sounds better, even loaded down.

I used a THD as a load box for testing and found some interesting results with the 295.
While the red channel becomes more of a midrange 80's tone ( you loose the underlying *** thump of the recto power section) however the orange on high gain takes on a whole new
Personality. I found the orange lead tone to be wonderful tonally. It's less compressed than the quad mark 2 lead sound yet similar in many ways and it offered an additonal very cool lead voicing to explore.

I'm using the PGA 04 with my Express 5.25. I also have the PDI 03 as well.

As a load box and speaker emulation it's awesome. I have more control over my sound than I did with the cab. We run no speakers on stage other than monitors and the Palmer unit does a great job of letting me dial in the tone I want. This is the big difference over the PDI which has limited adjustment.

I also like that I can stretch the amps legs and get its sound dialled without ripping my head off volume wise.

I use the PDI for my other amps with a Weber mass as a full load and it's also great, just not quite as flexible, however I am not disappointed with the results from that either.

Home recording has been made a great deal easier too. Definitely getting a better recorded sound than I was previously.

There was a period when Palmer was being sued over the design of the PDI-03. They were ordered by a court to cease production at the time. Palmer was forced to create a new design with new circuitry. The PGA-04 was the result. While it didn't quite handle voicing the same as the original PDI-03, it did have a the ability to work better with more modern sounding amplifiers. The PDI-03 is preferred by the blues and rock players. The PGA-04 tends to be the preference of heavy metal players. Joe Bonamassa has four PDI-03 units in his rack. Alex Lifeson has five and uses them with his AxeFX Ultras on stage! Apocolyptica uses PDI04 units.

I just read the link to the thread with the supposed Palmer issues. The Palmer units are not universal with regards to impedance loads. The units are specific for 4ohm, 8 ohm or 16 ohm. If you ran an amp that was not set for a 16ohm load, and you ran it into an 8 or 4 ohm load Palmer unit, or any other mismatch, you will very likely damage your amplifier. Also if you have an amp dishing out a load at 16ohms for a 16 ohm cabinet, and you stick an 8ohm Palmer in the middle, you will have a problem. Many factors here. Please don't take offense here, but user error is very likely. I've much experience with Palmer products in professional circles (former rep & worked with artists) and have never seen a Palmer unit damage an amplifier ever.

I would buy one with confidence.

Also I found it very funny that Boogie told the poor fella on the other thread that Palmer voided his warranty, because Mesa Boogie sells Palmer load boxes and PDI/PGA DI units out of the Mesa Boogie Hollywood Store. I used to be their supplier!

Just want to chime in here real quick.

I blew my preamp tubes while using the PDI04 and PDI03. There was no damage whatsoever to the power section because the loads were matched. Was it user error? Probably. I was cranking the preamp tubes too hard and they blew. There was no damage done to my Triaxis/290 units after my Mesa certified tech looked it over with a fine tooth comb. The preamp tubes just couldn't handle the signal as I was pushing.

Would I use the PDI03/PDI04 without an external speaker load? No. Mesa says the PDI03/PDI04 load does not respond the same as a speaker load therefore not a proper load.

Does Palmer suck? Absolutely not. I use the PDI09 in my live rig from the send out on the speaker cab. Soundmen love my tone.

That is all.

Take a look at these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviQ3lr980w&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xs6Or2AYJI&list=PLD0003D18E39B08BC&index=9&feature=plpp_video

I have a question about these devices generally, maybe someone can answer, this question applies to all of them, the Palmer stuff, the Radial JDX or anything else of this type..

Basically I can see that some decently good tones can be had with them. The question is whether the "feel" is also on par with a more traditional mic'd cab setup.

In my case, I'm using a modeler-->20/20-->2x12 with V30 and G12H30. I am very happy with the tone, but I'm considering one of these DI's to simplify my stage setup. I will sill have my cab on stage, but at least half the time I have in ear monitors on, so I don't know how much it matters. Anyway, I do think one of these DI's will sound perfectly good enough tonewise, with a bit of EQ, the audience will never know the differenece, but will I "feel" a difference from where I am standing? I'm also wondering if in my case I could perfectly well suffice to use the studio outs from my 20/20 and not even bother with a DI box, or whether the DI box will impart a little something to the sound.

My modeler is already pretty much making the sound be what it needs to be, but when it goes through the 20/20 it gets a little something, and when it goes through my cab it gets a little something too. But I guess I'm asking most about the "feel" aspect. I can't stand the feel of playing my modeler direct to PA, its way better doing through the amp and cab.

Back