PAF pickups+Recto series=great metal tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylaughs

Reaction score
I wanted to run this by other folks here to see if they've experienced anything similar. I've been a die-hard EMG>Rectoverb>4x12 progessive/death metal player for a long time now. I recently picked up a Gibson SG Faded with 490r/490t stock pickups, which I intended to use with a Fender Hot Rod Deville for another band I'm playing with. For the hell of it, I decided to see what the SG would do through my recto. I was honestly blown away ... I get a great Angus Young-thing happening with the gain around 10-noon, and by 3:00, there's enough gain to shred without losing the whole biting-spanking-whatever you call it attack. I'm thinking this might be my sound from now on. Anybody else use these (or similar) pickups for metal?

andylaughs said:
I wanted to run this by other folks here to see if they've experienced anything similar. I've been a die-hard EMG>Rectoverb>4x12 progessive/death metal player for a long time now. I recently picked up a Gibson SG Faded with 490r/490t stock pickups, which I intended to use with a Fender Hot Rod Deville for another band I'm playing with. For the hell of it, I decided to see what the SG would do through my recto. I was honestly blown away ... I get a great Angus Young-thing happening with the gain around 10-noon, and by 3:00, there's enough gain to shred without losing the whole biting-spanking-whatever you call it attack. I'm thinking this might be my sound from now on. Anybody else use these (or similar) pickups for metal?

Just the opposite actually! I find I like the sound of higher output p'ups like EMG's or the Gibby 500T or Duncan Distortion with my Recto - seems to keep it much tighter.

andylaughs said:

While I Love the sound of my LP through my recto, I find the guitar to be bass heavy which is not a good combo with the amp. (I just compensate by turning the bass way down) The SG has less fat of a low end which makes it really the perfect Gibson for a bottom heavy mesa. For what it is worth, I think the really harmonic rich, bright, and super saturated tone is an outdated aesthetic so I personally would prefer to use a stock equipped Gibson or the like if I was to play metal. I'd rely on chords, technique, and style for a heavy sound. (Has anyone here experimented with alternative harmonies?) The bass can add that low end thump and in fact, it should since that is what it is for. I think guitar tone should sound slightly thin or unbalanced in the lows because there needs to be a hole there for the ensemble to work correctly sound wise.

Latest posts

Back